Scopus (brown) Tang Vs Yellow Tang

Shawn White

He everyone I was offered a Scopus (Brown) Tang but the wife really wants a yellow tang I’ve read everywhere that you can’t keep the 2 together just wondering if any of you guys have kept them together or if I should keep her happy and wait for a yellow tang but the 90 gallon is looking really empty with a pair of clown fish LOL

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I had kept one of each in my 120 gallon. They were hell to stop fighting and most people end up loosing one. Rule of thumb, same tang body type is a no no. Some people have success, but if it is questionable then do not do it. Wait for the yellow.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I currently have a yellow, mimic, chevron and some unknown tang that is huge, soon to add the gem tang.

You also have a 120 and going up to a 220 right? Pretty sure @Shawn White has a 90. I also didnt say it was impossible, just only some people are successful with the integration of similar body type tangs. It is hit or miss. If his wife wants a yellow, then I would suggest waiting for the yellow rather then get a scopa and then add a yellow hoping they wont kill each other.

Jason Bell

You also have a 120 and going up to a 220 right? Pretty sure @Shawn White has a 90. I also didnt say it was impossible, just only some people are successful with the integration of similar body type tangs. It is hit or miss. If his wife wants a yellow, then I would suggest waiting for the yellow rather then get a scopa and then add a yellow hoping they wont kill each other.

The key part I missed, his wife wants a yellow.

You're right, in the 120 I had 2 and that was it. I wouldn't have had more.

Shawn White

I was just looking on Kijiji somebody is trying to sell a yellow tang for 400 a month ago the same guy was selling it for 100 thanks COVID happy wife happy life could always sell it when the prices come down the guy only wants 40 for the scopus

Matt1997

I had a yellow, gem, purple, sailfin, kole, powder brown and Achilles all together at various times. If they are similar size I find the aggression settles over a week. Don’t panic and stress out the fish by moving it. Try to let them work it out. If a smaller one is added after the larger ones established it usually gets killed. If a large one is added after smaller ones they both do fine in time. Add the more expensive one first, in this case the yellow.

Jason Bell

I was just looking on Kijiji somebody is trying to sell a yellow tang for 400 a month ago the same guy was selling it for 100 thanks COVID happy wife happy life could always sell it when the prices come down the guy only wants 40 for the scopus

That's how I ended up with 'Calvin' ya she names the ones she wanted.