Sea Hair In Fuge ?

bart84

I have a lot of hair algae in my refugium and it is choking out my macro algae. I know that is where I want it but could I put a sea hair in there to control it ? Or should I just leave it alone and let it do its thing ?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
You could try borrowing a sea hare from someone.  Mine died from starvation (i'm fairly certain) after completely clearing my tank of algae.  You'd probably only need one for a few days.  You'd be surprised how quickly they eat!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
...but the point is to manually remove the algae to actually export the nutrients.  If a sea hare eats it then excretes, you are just pushing the nutrients back into the system....

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
AdInfinitum link said:
...but the point is to manually remove the algae to actually export the nutrients.  If a sea hare eats it then excretes, you are just pushing the nutrients back into the system....

Doesn't algae use the nutrients to grow, hence 'exporting ' them from the water into tissue / plant

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
[quote author=AdInfinitum link=topic=8932.msg96154#msg96154 date=1402053488]

Doesn't algae use the nutrients to grow, hence 'exporting ' them from the water into tissue / plant
[/quote]

Yes but at that point the nutrients are just sequestered, not exported until they are removed from the system.  If the algae dies off or something eats it those nutrients go back in.