Seahorse Fry Breeding and Raising

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Well it's been a while since I have been able to post in this topic but I am pleased to report that yesterday I drove to SeaUMaraine in Markham and picked up 5 new captive bred seahorses to add to my stock.  These guys are from the same source as my current seahorses and I'm hoping will be able to kick start my breeding and raising efforts.  My adults have not been able to complete a successful egg transfer for quite a while despite my females producing eggs regularly.  These new little ones are only about 2.5" long so it will be a while before they will be able to breed but I picked up 3 males and 2 females so that when they can all be in the same tank as my adults, I can hopefully have 4 breeding pairs.  My fingers are crossed.  Here is a quick picture of them taken on my phone and for comparison a picture of one of my adults on the same decoration so you can see the size difference.
New-Seahorses_zps22c900a4.jpg

DSC04197_zps3705fb9b.jpg

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Congrats on the new additions Yvette ! I've been thinking of you lately and wondering how you and Dave and the kids were. Good to see a post and best of luck with the new family ! I'll look forward to updates
Sherry

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thanks Sherry

We are all doing well.  These new little seahorses have quite a voracious appetite!  They should hopefully grow quite nicely.  They are all very active and are enjoying exploring their new tank.  They are such a joy to watch.  :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Well I have had these guys for one week now and they are eating PE Mysis now.  Since starting the larger Mysis they have begun to fill out nicely and don't look so skinny.  They are eating out of my hand and "tracking" me when I walk in the room.  It's wonderful to watch.  In a few weeks I should be able to place them in with my adults then see if they start to give me any babies to raise.
Here are a couple more pictures taken yesterday...

Lighter-female-Sept-1_zps0a23d9e5.jpg

Little Female

Group-shot1-Sept-6_zps6fbf7261.jpg

Going for the Food

DSC04532_zpsff568a69.jpg

Competition  :)

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Hi Yvette
Wow, they look great ! I love the look of them, they are so sweet, maybe someday I'll be able to have some !
keep us posted, I'm happy to hear they're eating well and filling out nicely ! Great happenings to look forward to !

RYOUNVS

I just read this whole thread. Wow! Looks like you have done a lot of work and you will be able to move some fry over soon! Great work. Look forward to updates.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Thanks  :). It seems amazing that a whole year has gone by since I built the system and I've been waiting patiently (and sometimes  impatiently) for the fry to appear.  The male that had the fry is one of the little ones pictured above that I bought in August last year and it's so wonderful to see how far he's come since I brought him home. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to learn how to breed and raise these amazing animals.

C

CharlesMartin123

How do you know they are captive bred?
Just being available in the USA doesn't make it so unfortunately.
Who is the breeder and where did you order from?
At the moment, I believe seahorse source is the only US breeder of true captive bred kuda.
If there are other breeders then members of seahorse.org would certainly like to know.
Seahorse.org is the most complete, and largest site/forum for seahorse keeping.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Charles, these aren't H. Kuda. They are H. Erectus and originally came from Beth at Seahorse corral. My oldest ones were imported several years ago by Ray Ford who then convinced SeaUMarine to begin importing them from Beth. My others came from SeaUMarine and Seahorse Canada whose original stock were purchased from Ray when he imported from Beth. All are True Captive Bred and have been doing very well for me.
I am a very active member and forum moderator on Seahorse.org, are you a member as well?

Last edited: