Searching For Gha Cause

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Getting a little tired of gha waving at me from all my rock. Wondering if my rock is leaching phosphate. If I were to remove all my liverock (temporarily), will that lead to a tank crash?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
No sir

I personally think it helps. I run it on my main tank always and no algee at all and good sps growth even with 5 tangs/14 fish.

had some GHA growing in my frag tank and threw some gfo in a media bag and it was all gone a few days later...

I feel that it works for keeping water clean

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I had same thing...lots of waving hair algae, PO4 numbers were crazy high... ran hi-cap gfo for about 3 months, changing every 3 weeks, and rocks finally cleared themselves out.

The rock is a phosphate sponge, and HA lives on phosphates. Pretty simple. Problem with the fast-ating phosphate removers is it usually strips the water column of PO4, but it leeches out of the rock and re-saturates in no time. So you need a long term regimen to allow the rock to de-saturate.

So your rock isn't leching PO4, it's holding it in. The HA is just taking advantage of that. In the new tank I had both rock from my old tank, and rock I bought used, when I started it up... I ran GFO from day one...and the rock I bought simply EXPLODED with HA. Took a month or two, but finally that growth was gone completely, and now I have really nice rock :)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I had same thing...lots of waving hair algae, PO4 numbers were crazy high... ran hi-cap gfo for about 3 months, changing every 3 weeks, and rocks finally cleared themselves out.

The rock is a phosphate sponge, and HA lives on phosphates. Pretty simple. Problem with the fast-ating phosphate removers is it usually strips the water column of PO4, but it leeches out of the rock and re-saturates in no time. So you need a long term regimen to allow the rock to de-saturate.

So your rock isn't leching PO4, it's holding it in. The HA is just taking advantage of that. In the new tank I had both rock from my old tank, and rock I bought used, when I started it up... I ran GFO from day one...and the rock I bought simply EXPLODED with HA. Took a month or two, but finally that growth was gone completely, and now I have really nice rock :)

That's exactly what I'm seeing. Old rock from daughter's tank is fine, but the new rock is covered in gha! Guess it's time to look into gfo. Po4 is barely detectable using seachem test, but I'm assuming that's because the algae is using it.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
The question now becomes, how fine is gfo? I've read people do use it in canister filters, which is my plan. Am I going to run into the same problem I had with purigen (needing super fine mesh bag), or is it fairly large grains?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I use it in a canister, I just put a small mesh bag over the output for anything too fine, but generally it isn't too powdery (just rinse for the first couple of minutes into a bucket). I also run carbon in series with the gfo, which is why I use the filter bag.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Nope, it's marked as a resin, gfo is granular (basically it's rust). Check with the local guys, I'm sure one of them can get you bulk gfo.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That's exactly what I'm seeing. Old rock from daughter's tank is fine, but the new rock is covered in gha! Guess it's time to look into gfo. Po4 is barely detectable using seachem test, but I'm assuming that's because the algae is using it.

Exactly. If the algae is eating 10ppm and your rock is leaching 10ppm, then your will test 0ppm. As a laymen's example but you get the point. You have to strip it past what it is using. Also, as it dies off it will create more P04 to feed the other algae, hence why it takes so long to get rid of it. A CUC doesn't necessarily help. Yes, they eat it, but then they poop it...and the cycle continues.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Alright, so moving forward, i will start running gfo. As for the state of the rocks right now, will removing them to clean them disrupt my tank? It's really gotten out of hand and I'm tired of looking at it.

Josh

How often are you guys changing your GFO? mines been in ~2 weeks now in the back of my BC29 (non reactor). Do you change based on time? amount of flow?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I change it based on need. If you are battling an algae issue, I would change it every 2-3 weeks. If you are not, then change it according to your testing needs 4-6 weeks. Just before you levels start to rise. Something you will need to feel out.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Agreed, when I was cleansing the tank I was changing it every 2-3 weeks, about 1 cup at a time. I'm running 2 cups in a canister now, but on a new tank I'm changing it once every 2 months.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
3.5 - 4 cups. I don't recall exactly. Also tank size matters, I can't recall your setup off hand, but i use 2 cups on a 120gallon

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk