Seems Yet Another Coral Show Is Coming

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Yep, yet another show. :sigh: So reefescape supposedly wants to do one just before the fragfest date, which to be honest is kind of dickish, but whatever, and then there was the other show that wants to add salt to it in April, and I got some email from someone about a month ago asking me how to put on a show...

So I'll likely have to step up the whole planning, start locking in vendors early and begging for raffle items.

There's very little incentive (except for the huge goofy grin on my face when I visit the ronald mcdonald house and hand them a cheque), to continue/compete etc. If there's going to be a frag swap every week it's kind of crazy to keep doing it. If trends continue this may likely be the last one for london. I didn't get into it for politics, in fact I did it simply because I enjoyed Rick's swap meets so much, and I knew he wasn't going to continue doing them :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Yep, yet another show. :sigh: So reefescape supposedly wants to do one just before the fragfest date, which to be honest is kind of dickish, but whatever, and then there was the other show that wants to add salt to it in April, and I got some email from someone about a month ago asking me how to put on a show...

So I'll likely have to step up the whole planning, start locking in vendors early and begging for raffle items.

There's very little incentive (except for the huge goofy grin on my face when I visit the ronald mcdonald house and hand them a cheque), to continue/compete etc. If there's going to be a frag swap every week it's kind of crazy to keep doing it. If trends continue this may likely be the last one for london. I didn't get into it for politics, in fact I did it simply because I enjoyed Rick's swap meets so much, and I knew he wasn't going to continue doing them :)

London is the next show I'm doing. Already decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quartapound

I understand this can complicate things for the event planners, and agree some thought about spacing them out more would be nice, but this can only be seen as a positive thing for the hobbyists, means the hobby is growing stronger!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
London is the next show I'm doing. Already decided.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you'll have the most loyalty from vendors like Jerry and from hobbyists that have gone to past shows. You have my vow to go only to the London show, I'm sure others will say the same.

Planning another frag swap just prior to the London show isn't kinda dickish, its dickish!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
It's not the vendors, they're all great, I mean it would thin the customer base. I picked london because it was very centralized location (and a very short drive!), but people won't go to london if there's a show in hamilton, or one in windsor, etc. I don't blame people, go to the closest show why not.

Just thinking out loud at this point. I mean, it's not a business for me, still strictly a hobby, so my don't give a f##k factor is admittedly rather low lol.

cyberloach

My Orchid Society runs a big orchid show once a year and we've found locking in vendors can be a challenge. One thing we've done is create a discount if they pay early.

Cliff

As a customer especially a customer in the Niagara region I think it is a very good idea to have a frag show here. I wouldn't mind a show in every city every weekend LOL

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
As a customer especially a customer in the Niagara region I think it is a very good idea to have a frag show here. I wouldn't mind a show in every city every weekend LOL
Ideally yes, but people quickly run out of a)space and b)money pretty quick when stocking a tank, so the customer bin is only ever so big. Plus, run enough of these things and suddenly actual stores are going out of business, and I certainly never wanted to be a part of that. Some of them my go out with a bang and retaliate, I don't want to be chopped up by a goon with a splash shield mask and bone cutters lol.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
The aquarium hobby historically has always had a lull in business in the spring summer months. People are taking vacations and doing out door activities. The winter months everyone is cooped up indoors an the hobby booms.

I think October is a really great month for a show, kids back in school and enough time before Christmas.
Then March is the next best.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We usually have a couple of hundred people and good sales in April, so I'll have to stick with that. For me, I spend the winter getting the tank up to snuff, in spring I have good healthy stuff to sell. Right now I'm just ramping up water changes, lighting, etc etc and have just started kicking the coral into "growth" mode. Plus...Christmas...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I agree with most everything said. If you saturate the hobbiests with shows, they will pick and choose which show to go to lowering the participation at other shows. Most of us do not have $500 every weekend to drop on corals, plus the same vendors are at all the shows. Putting on one of these is a lot of work. @Salty Cracker started the first of its kind in this area and would be great to see it continue. Fragfest is my primary show. Next to that will be Brantfords fall show. From feed back I am getting from both vendors and hobbiests, they mostly look forward to this every year. There are even people from Ottawa who come down to the London one. I will do everything I can to keep this going, even if it means crashing at my mother-in-laws for the night before.

I have more to add, but I am already in the bad books with some other places at the moment.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Fragfest it is for me as well, I haven't been able to make either of the Brantford shows, unfortunately, wanted to, my employer said otherwise :confused: I can only begin to imagine the amount of work that goes in to putting this show together, what can we do to help?

limey

As owner and administrator of Reefescape we (Mitchell and Limey) are investigating the viability of a Fragshow in the Niagara area, but we are fully aware of the work and time required to put a show together. We are not out to compete with another show nor will we offer a date close to a current show as we feel this will impact us both.
I am involved with numerous volunteer organisations and organise many events throughout the year, so I more then most recognise the fact that putting on too many shows, events too close together will be detrimental to us all.

Mitch and I stumbled upon this post as we were investigating possible dates that would not conflict with current shows.
We are not sure who contacted you from our forum but would like to know whom so we can address this matter with them,
we do not want any bad feeling or animosity between forums this is not what we are about.

The idea of a meet in Niagara has been bounced around for several years and many members are for it but very few are willing to step up and do the work. The members that are seriously considering organising this event want to work together with the reef community, not against it.
People have limited funds, vendors, have limited weekends to support these shows and we know too many to close together will not work.

Originally we were offered a location that had weekends free in March but after reviewing the dates of current shows Mitch and I have decided to look at the end of the year.

If you can help us by confirming your date is going to be in April and if you are aware of any others planned this would be helpful as the Brantford show has changed it dates the past two years and we are trying to confirm the dates of any planned Toronto shows so we can ensure there are no conflicts.

I wish to reiterate we are here to work together with everyone, as we know this hobby is a tight knit community and there is room for us all to have events throughout the year and see that all are well supported by both vendors and enthusiasts, which will help this hobby grow.

Tony

Last edited:

limey

@limey Here is the source of the most up to date information from back in October when this thread was created as well.

http://www.reefescape.ca/forums/sho...FORD-FRAG-SHOW-October-10th&p=50934#post50934

I stand corrected (Oops, It was me!!!! in a totally unrelated post as stated we were investigating the possibility) honestly I was approached by numerous members after your first show to organise a show as I do other events throughout the year this is the reason it has not happened is I recognised the amount of work involved.

I will once again assure you we do not intend to impact another event.

We are all looking forward to the London show and will show our support

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Cliff said:

?? That one ??

Not sure why but it was removed from view. I'll check

===============================
Fixed it.

Last edited: