Seneye Reef Users?

Eggboy

Looking for advice from anyone who has used the Seneye as a par meter , I bought a barely used unit over the weekend basically for the par meter , can’t see myself really using the rest of it after the slides that came with it run out but was a cheap option for a par meter. After hooking it up I was shocked to see with pumps running and screen top on that on the top of my highest pillar which is 6-8” under the surface was 900-1000 par, even 16-18” under in the center of my 60 gal cube was pulling almost 600, the sides along the bottom are a reasonable 100-150 and 50 in the darkest corner. I know from other reviews I watched or read online that this unit seems run a bit higher readings then most par meters but was wondering from others experience how much do you think yours where off by if anything, seems to me trying to remember but seemed that when people were comparing different par meters that they were a bit more then 100 higher but... my light is a viperspectra 165 set at 100% blue and 35% white and has been at these settings for 6 months but after starting to dose Kalk 3 months ago I have been experiencing periods of rapid growth followed by slight die back then recovery cycling this growth/slight die back over and over on the SPS pieces up top in this very high par range, I first thought this to be alk swings perhaps but now I am pretty certain this has to be burning new growth from the high par , thinking I could drop my light settings in half if they are true as that is all the par the tank really needs. Guess this is why a par meter is useful if this is accurate at all- input/ thoughts appreciated - thanks

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Not sure about the PAR accuracy but that seems about spot on for the lights PAR readings from other reviews. They tend to have a major hot spot the first 6-8" or so then spreads out much lower. That is pretty high on PAR for any spot. Keep in mind that ALK levels will attribute a lot when running high PAR. Assuming you still have that 60 cube, then you probably could bare to cut that down quite a bit.

Josh

I have the same lights and i removed half the lens from mine to spread the light out and not punch out super high par directly under the lights. Also those par readings seem about right (i also have a seneye). Taking some of the lens out caused my par to go from 500-650 directly under to ~250-300 directly under and doubled the light on the outer edges of my tank from ~50 to 100.

Eggboy

Great to know your similar situation, I will remove some lens as well as that makes perfect sense , thanks for the advise