Seriously Hire Only Professionals For Renos

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Seriously hire only branded professionals when doing home renos. A few years ago we had our bathroom gutted and floors pulled out. They had to redo some plumbing for the new sink, toilet and tub.

I am currently redoing my storage room and adding a dog bath, and a drain and water line to my fish corner for my Rodi. Should be quick and easy add. Wrong. All the plumbing is green and corroded as well as leaks at 4 different joints. Half the plumbing doesn't even make sense. Most of the copper in the pictures was new at the time of the reno

So I will be spending the weekend redoing my entire house with PEX.

65ad5d309a2dc9ed22b1d58ad062b92d.jpg
7296ce2e37f85722605df2d5aa83c4f7.jpg
5457f0eb5ff214ced1507838872b9f43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Some of that copper is wolverine, that was good stuff.

That said, when you see burn marks, it's the instant telltale of a doffus job, plus as you said, it is a shitshow. They should have gone back as far as possible and replaced with new. On the other hand "new" isn't great, as a lot of the new copper pipe is very poorly made. If you go pex get the good stuff (I think it's called superpex), it has 3 laters instead of only 1 or 2. Great stuff.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Some of that copper is wolverine, that was good stuff.

That said, when you see burn marks, it's the instant telltale of a doffus job, plus as you said, it is a shitshow. They should have gone back as far as possible and replaced with new. On the other hand "new" isn't great, as a lot of the new copper pipe is very poorly made. If you go pex get the good stuff (I think it's called superpex), it has 3 laters instead of only 1 or 2. Great stuff.

That is what they carry at home depot. Getting 100' of red and 100' of blue. That is more then enough for what I need. I have to get it all cleaned up so I can insulate under the house.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Sorry to hear this mark... I've mentioned this before in another thread... im in sales also for a building supply company and have seen many scum bags come and go and can generally pin point those guys out right away... i encourage anyone dealing with any contractor to go to the supply place where these guys shop and start enquiring about thembefore you hire... dont take there references as gold... most likely there family and friends... roofers for example go to the roofing supply places and ask about them... u will generally get a feeling from the reaction of the sales person if there bad... the roofing and reno businesses are some of the shadiest around... good luck mark... sorry to hear bro

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That is a great peice of advice and a great way to get the truth about someone.

What makes it even worse is I am pretty sure we paid for new plumbing.

It is going to be a busy fun weekend. Some of that crawl space isn't even wide enough to army crawl through.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Looks like the person doing this used too much flux and didn't clean the pipes off properly when they were finished. That can cause a lot of the corrosion you are seeing. You should like the Pex much better than that mess.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Wow ! that's crazy Torx. What a shame. I hope the pex works out for you, I had an incident, tenant didn't clean the aearator on the kitchen sink, it was completely clogged, back pressure - a pex joint popped on me. Good luck with the crawl space this weekend.

That old saying "you get what you pay for" or "if a deal seems to good to be true it probably is". You could've did better yourself I bet. Good luck!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Spent a few hours running 200' of pex through and along joists. Hot and cold are run. Another day I will be shutting off the water to connect to all the fixtures.

Not a whole lot of space to work, makes it even better when I am claustrophobic lol. What a clusterfuck under there.

df399a227ec77723f3f10bbe6e852d2c.jpg
3f3042d4313aa49521a4b5745397cb73.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
All hooked up with no leaks.

I ended up needing to use push fittings for some of the connections though. The old copper pipe seemed a 1/16" smaller and the fittings would not take the solder. After spending all that time and failing, I just went to push fittings with the extreme extra cost.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
All hooked up with no leaks.

I ended up needing to use push fittings for some of the connections though. The old copper pipe seemed a 1/16" smaller and the fittings would not take the solder. After spending all that time and failing, I just went to push fittings with the extreme extra cost.

Glad it work out for u in the end... nothing worse then a contractor trying to rip somone off !!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea it's no fun being under a house like that in those crawl spaces

Glad you got it sorted out !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk