Serpent Starfish Lost A Leg Is It Normal ??

dickybird

Got this serpent star fish and for while now it's looked like a wound but today the arm came off and is still alive. I read the arm will turn into a starfish and the other starfish will grow a new leg has anybody had this happen or know if this is true I was ready to give up on him but now mabey not here's a couple pics

dickybird

IMG_20150514_201253.jpg
IMG_20150514_201239.jpg

SamB

Super Active Member
Buy a couple of harlequin shrimps to help clean up the arm

Kman

Super Active Member
Normally the serpent stars will split in half (down the middle of the disk part) during a process called fusion in order to create two serpent stars. This doesn't happen with all species. Typically when it is splitting, new arms will start to grow off of each half of disk as to lesson the downtime before it splits. When an arm falls off it is normal caused by damage. I have not seen the arms grow into a new serpent star.

harlequin shrimp do eat starfish.

Last edited:

dickybird

So why is the arm still alive. It moves if I touch it and this is the second day since I've noticed it since it fell off

Kman

Super Active Member
Well here's to hoping it does form a new one. Mine never have. It could be a automatic response to confuse predators. I have seen lizards shed tails and they have moved after a few days still till the electrical impulses died down. This could be the same thing.

dickybird

Just wanted to say the arm is still alive on day 3 with still no signs of decay just blew some water water at it with a pipette and it starts to squirm around I just think it is so weird

dickybird

So I don't think it is going to die it's still alive and this is day 6 it will be interesting to see if it grows a new body and legs or what happens and the main star fish is hanging out with the cleaner shrimp haven't really seen how it's healing it's in tough spot to get at