shawns tank move summary

B

baker.shawn

Hey Everyone,sorry this is sort of a rushed post so it may not make too much sense lol
This weekend/week me and my parents made the move from London Ontario to Ingleside Ontario, it is about a 600km drive the first thing to be moved was my aquarium, I got a great deal on a tank from North American Fish breeders so I used the opportunity to upgrade slightly from 45gcube to a custom 75gal 

we started packing up the rental van by 8am and didnt have it done till nearly 12:30, we ended up running out of space so ALOT of drygoods and tools couldnt come with us. it turns out the van we got didnt have AC so by time we got to the new house around 7pm the heat and stress had gotten to me and I definitely wasn’t feeling too well

it took about 2 hours to get everything level and in place, by 9pm I began to fill the tank with sand and new SW by time i had the tank half full and at temp it was 1am, that’s when i added the older water, some old sand along with all the rock! it was about 3am at that point and I was a zombie i decided to call it a night, the temp was holding about 80 degrees in the corals coolers and the fish were doing okay in there bucket with an airline so I figured everything would be fine.

i was up bright an early sunday to finish the plumbing and add the last buckets of water to the sump, the tank was still cloudy but i had to get going! so all the coral was added rather quickly followed by the fish.

the skimmer was going absolutely crazy untill about 45min beofre we left with it dialed wayyy down, so I was just hoping it would be okay! i had a hose from the collection cup to a bucket in anticipation of alot of skimate!
When we returned in Ingleside Wednesday with the rest of our stuff just before the movers arrived, the water was crystal clear, and all my fish were out…the bad part is I lost a lot of my sps, mostly the bigger pieces Ive had a while, the good news is the ones I recently picked up which are the more rare and expensive ones were okay also all my chalices and acans are also looking pretty good! , regardless I think it’s safe to say I will never be moving my tank again, when it’s time for me to move out all my livestock will be sold off

here is the tank before :)
IMG_1940.jpg

and after :(
IMG_1952.jpg

7eb28a70.jpg

some death
tort
IMG_1961.jpg

pink millie
IMG_1960.jpg

birdsnest (tipped over)
IMG_1959.jpg

sunset millie
IMG_1958.jpg

unknown acro (maybe tricolor)
IMG_1957.jpg

blue stag (my largest piece)
IMG_1956.jpg

tricolor
IMG_1955.jpg

neon green acro (just hanging on)
IMG_1954.jpg

teal acro
IMG_1953.jpg

spyd

Super Active Member
Moving tanks are all ways very stressful. SPS corals are so finnicky that a move of that magnitude is all but guaranteed that some will die off. All things considered, It looks like you have made it through the move quite well though. I would suggest cutting some frags of the corals that are partially dying off. That way, if they do perish, at least you have some healthy frags to start growing again.

Also, I really like the aquascaping! It looks great!

shipwreck

Sorry for your losses.  I do beleive when you original posted about moving the tank all of the problems you encountered were brought up then.

B

baker.shawn

spyd link said:
Moving tanks are all ways very stressful. SPS corals are so finnicky that a move of that magnitude is all but guaranteed that some will die off. All things considered, It looks like you have made it through the move quite well though. I would suggest cutting some frags of the corals that are partially dying off. That way, if they do perish, at least you have some healthy frags to start growing again.

Also, I really like the aquascaping! It looks great!

Thanks! there is still a bit more aquascaping left to do, i need to level out my sand, the far left side is bare just about. i also want to move some rock around...i just want to hold off on that for a little while till everything is settled

as for the coral i think today or tomorrow i may clip off any remaining life from the dead pieces and mount what i can, im clean out of frag plugs but i have sheets of LR that i cut with a bandsaw which will do just fine for now