Shortening An Aquariums Height? Are There Any Glass Workers In This Forum?

Ducati283

I've been looking for a large aquarium and I found one that I think is perfect but it's 36" tall and I only want 24". Is it possible to cut 12" off the top without disassembling the entire tank? The top 12" would make a perfect frag tank! Any help on this would be great. Thank u.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
no to do is properly you would have to disassemble the tank.
There may be some way to "redneck" it, but i wouldnt trust it.

Its not that difficult to take a tank apart, cut it down to whatever you want and put it back together, some great info videos online.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have done this to a tank for @prism127 I can't remember what the tank specs were off hand. I just used a glass cutter though. I did think about getting a glass wheel for my tile saw, but I knew the glass was thinking enough for me to handle. It would be a much better suggestion over using an electric circular saw.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

SamB

Super Active Member
I have done this to a tank for @prism127 I can't remember what the tank specs were off hand. I just used a glass cutter though. I did think about getting a glass wheel for my tile saw, but I knew the glass was thinking enough for me to handle. It would be a much better suggestion over using an electric circular saw.

Torx is a very brave man !

Nick James

When he was sliding his hand across the smooth cut I was waiting for the blood to start seeping from his fingers..

Ducati283

So you actually cut the tank while it was intact, successfully?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEC

@TORX how did you accomplish this with a glass cutter and the tank fully assembled?

I'm curious how this was done correct me if I'm wrong but with a glass cutter you are scoring and then snapping the piece off aren't you?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
@TORX how did you accomplish this with a glass cutter and the tank fully assembled?

I'm curious how this was done correct me if I'm wrong but with a glass cutter you are scoring and then snapping the piece off aren't you?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I took the tank apart first. Yes, it was the scoring tool. A good cutter and straight edge makes for a clean snap.