Sick Dogface Puffer

mike webster

anyone know why all of a sudden a dogface puffers face would swell right up and sitting on deaths door, we also lost a tusk that were swimming, eating and perfectly healthy, I'm wondering about a bad clam, we buy them then freeze them for a week before they get fed to the fish, they both eat them, no other visible marks, the puffer is just floating around like a bobber and cant seem to be able to manoever at all, hes in the quarantine tank where theres always ro water, face is still swelled up

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Were they frozen when you bought them, usually the are frozen at sea so if you bought them thawed the were probably previously frozen which might be a problem.

heath

Distinguished Member
I know in Woodstock they are the only grocery store that has a " fresh" sea food counter but, next time you are there really read the sign, ours always say previously frozen, now how many times...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Were they frozen when you bought them, usually the are frozen at sea so if you bought them thawed the were probably previously frozen which might be a problem.
Definitely not good for human consumption but not likely a problem for fish...my first thought wouldn't be food related...what else is in the tank? Any other general conditions? Old tank new...recent additions...etc?

heath

Distinguished Member
there are so many questions, what do they eat in their natural habitat, how long have you had him...what is their life span..

SamB

Super Active Member
Definitely not good for human consumption but not likely a problem for fish...my first thought wouldn't be food related...what else is in the tank? Any other general conditions? Old tank new...recent additions...etc?

Agree with this theory
Fish are pretty resilient to food related issues
What else is going on ?
Or what has changed recently ?