Simple frag tank.

MrHermit85

Hello all!

I was just curious about how simple a frag tank can be? I only want to house soft corals and some lps. So mainly yumas, ricordeas, zoas and mushrooms. I am ordering a par38 bulb (will this be too much???) and I have an old 20 long turtle tank which can only be filled halfway so 10 gallons total. I also have a maxijet 1200 and a bunch of live rock from my main tanks sump and was thinking of having a little corner cordened off for a little ball of chaeto.

Do I need anything else other than a heater? Can you share how your first frag tanks were setup?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i always think a frag tank does best if its tied into your main system, especially if you want to go small, its very easy to do

MrHermit85

What's the easiest way to connect it to my system? If I drill two holes in the one side and plumb both to my sump could I use one bulkhead for a return and one for a drain? Or is an overflow box necessary?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i actually have two examples of this on my system,
i have a mj 1200 in my main frag tank, and it feeds my 10g nano tank, and the nano is drilled and that flows into
the sump of the frag tank, so a bit of a chain, and a bit of water balancing involved but it works.

an easier way to do it is just T off your return pump and have a small return in the frag tank and just have the drain go to the sump as well.

MrHermit85

Poseidon link said:
i have a mj 1200 in my main frag tank, and it feeds my 10g nano tank, and the nano is drilled and that flows into
the sump of the frag tank, so a bit of a chain, and a bit of water balancing involved but it works.

an easier way to do it is just T off your return pump and have a small return in the frag tank and just have the drain go to the sump as well.

I guess this way you don't have to worry about heaters or an extra skimmer plus you get extra water volume. I may consider this.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=6589.msg64566#msg64566 date=1382055221]

I guess this way you don't have to worry about heaters or an extra skimmer plus you get extra water volume. I may consider this.
[/quote]

Yup, running a small frag tank is like running a nano and I found that more work than it's worth

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
What size drain do you use on the nano? Is it just a bulkhead? I have a mj1200 too so I could use the same...

The nano is a 10g
drain is 3/4" soft plumbing

harleymike

Super Active Member
MrHermit85 link said:
[quote author=harleymike link=topic=6589.msg64575#msg64575 date=1382057822]
My frag tank is 15 gallons with 25 gallon sump. Works great.
Lol. Ya its what I had available.
Your frag tanks sump is bigger than my main tanks sump lol
[/quote]

Jewel

Having a Frag tank is what most of us wished they had, Our Corals grow and naturally we want to make a bit of cash on our investment, Having one tied into our main system is great But what if you don't have the space? I have a spare room and I'd love to set up a Frag tank, Then what? The tank is a No brainer. Unibob has the want I want then what a big Sump, A skimmer, what else Is it really Feasible?

Jewel

Nope but I'd like to down the road. But is it really feasible, I mean I cant tie it into my tank so you need an entirely new system with Sump, Skimmer, lights, Etc Etc?

harleymike

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
Nope but I'd like to down the road. But is it really feasible, I mean I cant tie it into my tank so you need an entirely new system with Sump, Skimmer, lights, Etc Etc?

Ya, it is definitely better too tie it in. But i couldn't either.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea it's a second tank, you need everything you would for a dt tank, just doesn't need to be that cosmetically appealing

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It all depends on what you want to keep in it. A 20 gallon will work with some LR, or even grab up some marine biomedia block. Use a HOB skimmer and your MJ, with light and should be good. But you grow what you set up for. You may want a few little fishies in there as well.

The BRS Coral propagation -- Episode 1: Propagating the rose bubble tip aneme tank is a good idea, check out the video and it will give you an idea. He starts talking about the tank at the 5 minute mark, but the whole thing has some interesting info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeNy9aWm6I

MrHermit85

Torx link said:
It all depends on what you want to keep in it. A 20 gallon will work with some LR, or even grab up some marine biomedia block. Use a HOB skimmer and your MJ, with light and should be good. But you grow what you set up for. You may want a few little fishies in there as well.

The BRS Coral propagation -- Episode 1: Propagating the rose bubble tip aneme tank is a good idea, check out the video and it will give you an idea. He starts talking about the tank at the 5 minute mark, but the whole thing has some interesting info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeNy9aWm6I

Thanks I will give it a look