Skimmer For A 9g Nano

Troy

First question is, do I need a skimmer? I think the answer is yes.

Second is what is a good skimmer for such a small tank?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I would say no skimmer but put your money into an Auto top off unit. Pico tank issues are water evaporation and maintaining salinity.

Troy

ATO, never thought of that... I just keep a litre of RODI and add when a bit when needed.

Sounds like a good idea but how hard will it be to conceal(gives me something to research)? Fiancee is going to kill me, she should have just let me setup my 75G and drill holes in the floor for the sump.

WiredWeasel

It wouldn't be too bad. They're fairly compact and your freshwater reservoir is as big as you want it to be. My friend used an old 1 gallon jug from Zehrs.

Troy

Okay quick research leads me to this setup from ReefSupplies. Or is the Tunzee Osmolator nano 3152 a better option?

For $120 it come with the complete setup,

upload_2018-2-22_11-19-41.png

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Okay quick research leads me to this setup from ReefSupplies. Or is the Tunzee Osmolator nano 3152 a better option?

For $120 it come with the complete setup,

View attachment 16055

I have one of these and I had to replace the pump 3 times then I gave up on it. The pump is most of the cost.

I now have a autoaqua smart ATO and it’s great http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c378141773/p17714899.html

I’ve heard good things about the JBL ATO http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquarium-supplies/c378141773/p17682065.html

But in all honesty you don’t need anything. It’s a tiny tank and you should be okay with manual top offs.

See the issue with a skimmer on a small tank is that skimmers require you to maintain the water level so that they will work right, if the water level dips too much you’ll never get the skimmer to work correctly.

I have a 20 gallon fusion all in one tank with a ghost skimmer and you could never have the skimmer dialed in.

kapelan

From the tank we are actually watching fish and corals, right?
If external equipment takes a large part of the picture, my guess would be:
- do we need a picture of Rembrant in a cheap frame?
eshopps-nano-jpg.170179