Skimmer/refugium Question

PufferGuy81

Hey all, looking for advice... I've got a 25 gallon FOWLR that's my temporary tank for my tiny Narrow Lined Puffer. I'm wondering if a skimmer and/or small HOB Refugium would be recommended to help with general filtration/cleanliness for the puffer? If so, any recommendations? Currently only have one large 10lb or so piece of live rock with the live sand and a Fluval U filter.

Other livestock is a 14 or so inch Snowflake Moray I'm trying to sell/trade, a single Sergeant Major Damsel, a lone tiny blue legged hermit crab and a Mexican turbo snail.

Thanx!

Kman

Super Active Member
I would add the skimmer and do small weekly water changes. You should add some carbon in a media bag to help clean the water and get rid of any toxins the puffer might put off. If you had a larger Refugium that was packed with macro algae you could skip the skimmer. Mind you you can add macro to the tank itself I am sure the puffer will not mind. Assuming you have lights on the tank. If you do mutable approaches it will all add up and cover your bases.

PufferGuy81

I would add the skimmer and do small weekly water changes. You should add some carbon in a media bag to help clean the water and get rid of any toxins the puffer might put off. If you had a larger Refugium that was packed with macro algae you could skip the skimmer. Mind you you can add macro to the tank itself I am sure the puffer will not mind. Assuming you have lights on the tank. If you do mutable approaches it will all add up and cover your bases.

Thanks for the tips and info! Any recommendations for a Skimmer? Brand new to shopping for one and although I've done research, always good to hear directly from hobbyists.

shamous113

Thanks for the tips and info! Any recommendations for a Skimmer? Brand new to shopping for one and although I've done research, always good to hear directly from hobbyists.
I have a lifereef skimmer and I love how simple it is. @TORX just installed a banshee skimmer that uses similar tech but were still waiting for a review.