Skimz sm201 protein skimmer vs reef octopus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
So I had my heart set on the new skimz monster sm201.  Thing looks great, great reviews and small footprint. However, after seeing the picture of the reef octopus nwb150 I'm toying with the idea of the nwb200 model. It's cheaper than the skimz but half the bio load. Anyone wanna help?

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Not of the top of my head. No. But I'm sure it's listed. YouTube has videos of the skimz models. They look well built and skim great. Also rated for 500 gallons. Whereas the reef octopus is half. And half the price. From what I've read this far the pump on te reef octopus is a better quality pump but draws twice the electricity. Skimz is a good pump half the watts but man does it skim. Also twice the cost. Ugh. Torn.

B

Blob-79

imo if ur going reef octopus..bubble blaster all the way

P

phi delt reefer

bubble blaster pumps are getting great reviews left right and centre but definitely are not dead silent but are very effecient. For skimz, stick to the skimmers using the es5000 pump.

if you are looking for something dead silent you will want an Askoll/Laguna driven skimmer (ATB 1050 v1.5, Bubble King, Vertex Alpha cone 170, SWC 230 cone, etc.) Havent heard much about this skimmer but its a good deal from the looks of it - http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtuemart/12-protein-skimmers/62-hurricone/255-hurricone-cat-1-internal-protein-skimmer-sale-49900.html

if you over size your skimmer too much you wont be able to produce a stable foam head long enough to pull out the nutrients.

Z

Zakk

I have always liked what I heard about skimz, just never liked the price.  I went with the Reef Octopus because they get good reviews and are a great price...

I'm happy with mine, but I would have bought a skimz if I could have found a used one for a good price....

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
i have the skimz sm161.. which is the same design just smaller, it uses the es2800 pump, which i have read there were issues with improper seating of the needlewheel when they were first released like a year ago but they now come with an updated prop and if you did get stuck with an old one they will send you a new one. i really like it, it skims some crazy gunk.. and it almost makes me puke everytime i clean it.. i actually took a video to show pulpfiction it running when it was about a week and a half old.. i had cleaned it 15 minutes before the video, kinda wetter skimmate when it was new but still really dark it now pull gunk more so than liquid... issues i've had with it.. when new if i had the air valve open more than like 1/32nd of a turn the pump got really loud and didnt sound good.. i still run it with the air valve almost closed.. but if you do open it up the really loud noise isnt there anymore. just needed to break in i guess.. another issue i have is the collection cup leaks at the gasket slightly unless you use two hands to snug it up.. a bit annoying.. build quality is very good overall besides that.. it comes apart easy for cleaning theres thumb screws to remove the base and pump and the acrylic is nice and thick and feels well built.

Skimz sm161

B

Blob-79

yea ive seen the skimmz skimmers I second the build quality. Quality work for sure.. i just no nothing about the pumps

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
from what i was told is the pump is an Eden pump.. italian made, they make pumps for ehiem. the sm161 which uses the smaller es2800 draws 13w and intakes 780 l/hr of air and turns over 1200 l/hr of water. not sure if those numbers mean anything to you but i just know its working good for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.