Snorkeling- Ixtapa Mexico

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I had the privilege to do some snorkeling (not done yet)
for the first time in my life actually :)

not a huge camera person ( have an underwater disposable, but have to get those developed when i get home)
but would like to share some of the species of fish ive seen

Gold puffers- very common actually, ive seen upwards of 10
porcupine puffer
starry puffer
moorish idols
Pakistani butterfly
henicocus butterfly
several butterflies unknown to me
damsels, holy sh*t are there damsels, the big ones attack you if you get too close to there territory haha
several blennies and hawkfish that ive never seen before in the hobby
lots of different kinds of snails ive never seen before
insane amount of yellow and black cleaner wrasse
luner wrasse,
several unknown wrasse species.

On a side note, i haven't seen a single tang anyone know why?

oh and the sea urchins, black long spine, on every single rock, theres thousands of them lol

golden speckled moray eel, simply stunning, (wow i wish i had an expensive underwater camera to show you guys)
zebra moray
some sort of black and white sea snake
sea turtle.

manta rays
lots of small rays in the sand

we also went fishing, caught several black tuna and a very large 'el dorado' or mahi mahi,
THIS i do have pictures of and will post later :)

KBennett

Awesome.  The pacific side seems so much better than the carribean.  What corals have you seen?  Is that right from the beach or excursions?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
KBennett link said:
Awesome.  The pacific side seems so much better than the carribean.  What corals have you seen?  Is that right from the beach or excursions?

Our beach is a large cove with 7-10 resorts, maybe 3-4 miles long?
I just have to walk to the end of the cove and it's all over the rocks etc

For corals,
Only sps and some sea fans so far,
Tons of mille? I think or a type of birdsnest, some colonies are 10ft diameter no problem,

You can do excursions to fancy reefs but at a price. And I'm just a beginner so I'm happy with the beach :)

DerekL

We have a waterproof Olympus I believe it is. We got some good pics from one of the reefs we snorkelled at near Cancun. Not sure about the Pacific side but in the Caribbean side you see tons of blue tangs and some I am not sure what they are. We are looking to go near Tulum Mexico sometime in January from what I have read there are lots of reefs just off the beach in front of the resorts. I am sure that they are not as good as the ones you can pay to go snorkelling at but I am sure I will still just enjoy getting to swim and get pics.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
wahoo! today was my last day, went again for a couple hours this morning then flew home this afternoon/evening and am finally back in cold canada :)

i was happy to see a HUGE powder brown tang this morning, and several beautiful zoathid colonies in addition to lots of previously mentioned fish.... and geez, the puffers... sooooooo many puffers