Something Growing

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
I've been running GFO for several months... I was very surprised it was down to .1 its been flocculating between .25 to .4. I'll check it again in a couple days to make sure that was a good reading. If it is that low I wonder why I'm having this algae outbreak. The more I look at it the more I think it is hair algae and I think I've always had it (had the tank for almost a year and it was a used set up, about 8 years old) but its much worse now.
Often times when you have an overgrowth of algae you will have a "false low" for your phosphate readings because the algae is using it to grow.

mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
:(i should mention also that I had extremely high nitrates for many months last year. They have been reduced down now since last summer with the aid of nitraguard and have been near 0 for quite a while now. So now my nitrates and phophates (1.4 today and I changed my GFO )are reading low but i'm having this algae outbreak.. something is going on. The more I read up on this the more complex this hobby gets.. I like a challenge however time to do all the research and basically taking chemestry lessons is something that I am stuggling with.

monizb

Super Active Member
How long are lights on for u might have old bulbs as well have u changed theM out ? do u have a good clean up crew snails hermits ect

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I just tested my phosphates and it measured 0.1 so I think I had the decimal in the wrong place when I typed 3.1 yesterday. Yes I am running gfo and carbon on separate reactors.

Haha yea gotta watch where you put the decimal when talking po4 in ppm. Have you confirmed an ID on the algae? GHA for sure?

I've been running GFO for several months... I was very surprised it was down to .1 its been flocculating between .25 to .4. I'll check it again in a couple days to make sure that was a good reading. If it is that low I wonder why I'm having this algae outbreak. The more I look at it the more I think it is hair algae and I think I've always had it (had the tank for almost a year and it was a used set up, about 8 years old) but its much worse now.

What are you using to test po4? Also, if it has been fluctuating between those higher numbers then that is still a fairly high amount of po4 when you consider the levels found in seawater.... I'd aim for 0.08ppm or lower as long as you don't kills your corals :)
How often do you change your GFO and is it HC?
What kind of po4 readings do you get on the output of the GFO reactor?
my dad had same issue u pulled the rock pulled all the hair off and kept on it till it was gone added a sea urchin and never again he has seen hair Algee ;)

You don't need to pull the rock or get a sea urchin if it is GHA.
You may need to change your gfo more frequently.

But also I'm sure someone has already mentioned it. But you need to find the root cause of it or it's going to be a continuous battle.

Gfo is only going to act as a band-aid until you can figure out what's causing your high po4.

Have you taken your water to your lfs to have them run some tests? Just to confirm your test kits are giving the proper readings?

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

+1
I'd get your own testing equip. Though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
How long are lights on for u might have old bulbs as well have u changed theM out ? do u have a good clean up crew snails hermits ect
Monizb, I've cut my lights back to 5 hpd, i do have quite a few hermit crabs and many different types of snails but to be honest i dont find they do a whole lot.. I just bought a sea hare and he is doing a much better job, i've been thinking of getting another one. Idk what you mean by changing my M?

mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
Haha yea gotta watch where you put the decimal when talking po4 in ppm. Have you confirmed an ID on the algae? GHA for sure?
No not sure if the exact ID but pretty sure its GHA

What are you using to test po4? I'm using a Hanna po4 test kit... Also, if it has been fluctuating between those higher numbers then that is still a fairly high amount of po4 when you consider the levels found in seawater.... I'd aim for 0.08ppm or lower as long as you don't kills your corals :)
How often do you change your GFO and is it HC? I change it probably once a month.., my plan was to change it out when my po4 readings were climbing ..... HC???? not sure what you mean... the brand?
What kind of po4 readings do you get on the output of the GFO reactor?
I've never checked my po4 reading out of the reactor... I will though...
I wonder also if my 2LF reactor is the best.. when I look at the GFO churning insided it doesnt seem to mix all of it.. mostly on one side...

You don't need to pull the rock or get a sea urchin if it is GHA.

+1
I'd get your own testing equip. Though.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: