Specific Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

quikcolin

Hey guys,

So my tank has cleared crystal clear and things are coming along nicely (I can only assume).

I've been checking the water with my Hydrometer.  

The water temperature is 77-78 degrees

Specific gravity is 1.020...  ??? is this good?  I've read online that depending on tank temperature a reading of 1.020 would actually be like 1.025 in warmer temps?  Do I need to add salt?  Or is this just fine for cycling the tank?

Day3.jpg

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
im sure i will get my reply jumpped all over but myself on a cycling tank i keep my salinity gravity closer to 1.025,i dont think yours is quite high enough,i would go no less than 1.023

quikcolin

Silly question... but how much salt would it take to increase my gravity to that 1.023 or 1.024?  Tablespoon?  More?  Less?

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
im not sure,but you have no fish only waiting on a cycle,make a small pail of higher salt content(almost a brine) and just add some,wait a bit ,test till you reach what your looking for.that tank is gonna look awsome

Blob-79

Super Active Member
pulpfiction1 link said:
im sure i will get my reply jumpped all over but myself on a cycling tank i keep my salinity gravity closer to 1.025,i dont think yours is quite high enough,i would go no less than 1.023

agreed. I keep mine very close to 1.025 also. being how the tank is empty, you could just put in a little salt at a time without pre mixing it. ( dont do this with fish or corals). do as pulp suggested. when you do a water change, just mix your water either weak or strong depending on what way you need to adjust salt level.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
quikcolin link said:
Silly question... but how much salt would it take to increase my gravity to that 1.023 or 1.024?  Tablespoon?  More?  Less?

hard to say for sure..I find some brands need more salt added then others, also system volume is unknown..(rock displacement) just add a little at a time. no rush getting the salinity perfect right away

quikcolin

Thanks for all your help guys.  I needed to top off the water a little anyhow so I mixed up some salt and added it to the tank.  I'll check the readings later tonight. 

My hydrometer is funny.  It's a "Kent" brand meter (brand new)... each time I do my first test of the day the meter goes up off the charts???  Then I drain it and try again, then it gives me a "proper" reading - well I hope anyways.  Have you ever heard of this?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
dont think ive ever seen the kent brand ones before. Do you notice little bubbles on the needle when you first put water in it? give it a little flick after you first put water in. Theres really no reason this should happen, when I fill mine up, the needle does go high..but then comes down and levels off. if the needle looks kind of sticky..i just flick it with my finger..if that doesnt work try soaking it in RO water.

quikcolin

I did leave it full of saltwater for 24hours after I bought it... Truthfully it might have bubbles on the needle?  I should take a closer look next time I take a reading.  If needed - flick it  ;)

S

shayneh

Save yourself some trouble and look for a refractometer. They are way more accurate, faster and easier to use than those stupid floaty needle hydrometers. I got a refractometer about 7 years ago and found out my actual salinity was closer to 1.030 than the 1.023 that the hydrometer showed..... seems to me my hydrometer was forcefully chucked in the odds and ends bucket in the garage immediately after that.

C

Cal_stir

i agree, chuck that hydrometer and get a refractometer. i calibrate mine with 1.026 calibration fluid so i know its dead on.

quikcolin

Ah, you guys are killing me lol.  I just bought this thing 3 days ago... HAHA

Thanks for the offer pulpfiction, we're pretty far away from each other... out near Chatham right?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
dont panic :p  you can by just fine with a hydrometer..thats all I use. Most people dont realize this, but unless a refractometer is calibrated properly, water is put on glass...wait 60 seconds or something like that, and then the reading taken..they are no more accurate then a hydrometer. I actually use one at work semi often, those $20 jobs are junk. All I ever do is take my hydrometer to the lfs or work and compare it against a quality, calibrated and properly used refractometer. Mine isnt far enouph off for me to care. In all reality, Salinity level isnt half as important as keeping salinity consistant. As long as your properly acclimating your livestock before puting them in your tank, you'll be fine with a hydrometer

S

shayneh

No need to wait with a good refractometer couple drops and look throught the eyepiece get your reading wipe off the glass and your done. No rinsing out and farting around to get it to the proper level then flicking the snot out of it to get rid of bubbles and trying to guess what the sg actually is if the water isn't up to temp yet. Specific Gravity readings on a refractometer also aren't affected by water temp or bubbles like a hydrometer. I calibrate mine once a year (have yet to actually adjust anything). I agree with Blob that it's not anything urgent....but they are junk in comparison to a good refractometer.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya I was more refuring to the cheap ones..you get what you pay for. One day im sure Ill buy a good refractometer, when im done spending money on the more important things. ;)

quikcolin

fair enough guys, sounds like when the time comes, and I'm ready to get a "proper" device, I 'll snag up one of those refractometers.

S

shayneh

AP.ca classifieds has a used one right now....not sure of the make.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
mine was 70 new but i meself use a hydrometer,and yes  im near highgate,key is just use the calibration fluid every once in awhile

Status
Not open for further replies.