SPS Identification Thread ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Just curious if anyone else thinks starting a ID thread for SPS and other types of coral LPS, Zoos would be a cool idea. I figured there's so many types out there it would be sweet to have a spot on our forum we could refer to for an ID . I was thinking maybe have sub-sections for each species of SPS ex: Millipora, Montipora etc ... and the same for LPS Acans, Hammers ..

I was thinking of posting pictures and identfying it by the hobby name like sunset millipora or pokerstar montipora. Again there is so many variations of one coral be nice to see all the names in one place to make IDs.  We would need everyone to particpate to post pics so we can get a variation of it all. Could eventually make it a sticky. We would have seperate threads for each cateogry SPS LPS Softies and Zoos? Anyone want to toss in some ideas or there opinoin on it ? Cheers

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I could definitely have some input on some forums like this......

I think if we get LPS,ZOA,SPS, SOFTIE forums like some of the other big sites they will be too slow.  Add in a identification subforum and it will be way too slow.

Maybe a coral id subforum with-in the general discussion.  Or create a coral discussion (combining them) forum and a coral id subforum with it that.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I figured having the SPS, LPS , Softies and Zoa would make it easier for the person trying to make the ID. The sub sections may be a little to much lol but this would be great. I know DarrylV you know your SPS ,  Rick knows all about zoas for sure and between everyone on the forum I think we could get a wide range of IDs.

chief hill

Re: Re: SPS Identification Thread ?

Salty Cracker link said:
Can you guys ID these for me?  I can't get them to grow and I've been feeding them for like a year.

Ahh yes a fine species you have there. They are all members of the plasticus artificialious cololrus family.
Take forever to grow and you need extraordinary lighting to keep them.
Not to mention they typically only eat petroleum products used motor oil is what we Use on mine
Try that and they will grow fine. :eek:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Can you guys ID these for me?  I can't get them to grow and I've been feeding them for like a year.

This is the opposite of what we would like to do, turn it into a asking ID thread. Would be nice if we had a thread of already ID coral and salty those are in the crap coral species, take em back to where you purchased... Let me guess LFS ?

harleymike

Super Active Member
oh ya, i would love it. I have a folder on my phone now. Take pics and then tag them with there id. I am lost with trying too keep up with all the names.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:

Hey Salty, I have a potion that I can sell you to get those things growing like crazy...

For you...only $100 a bottle!!!!

Now it may look and smell like a bottle of piss but it is actually a proprietary blend of organic acids, salts, potassium, creatinine and other trace elements that will magically enhance any corals color and growth no matter how shoddy your tank maintenance is!

Just PM me and I'll hook you up...for your system about 1 bottle a week should do it and you'll be TOTM in no time.

AdamS

In my opinion, a 'thread' lends itself well to a discussion, but not an 'ID' page because you have to scroll through 30 pages to find the coral you are looking for. I think it would be much better to have a separate little web page with pictures of all the types, click on the picture and up comes everything you want to know about that coral. Allow people to comment within that detail page. Make sense?

Alternatively, why doesnt someone just make an infographic of darryls tank, that should cover most of the sps species.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
I could definitely have some input on some forums like this......

I think if we get LPS,ZOA,SPS, SOFTIE forums like some of the other big sites they will be too slow.  Add in a identification subforum and it will be way too slow.

Maybe a coral id subforum with-in the general discussion.  Or create a coral discussion (combining them) forum and a coral id subforum with it that.

Any mods want to chime in on this idea ? could we possibly do what DarrylV mentioned . add a coral ID sub foruum within general discussion. I personally think its a good idea to have a place on our own forum to search.

Status
Not open for further replies.