Sps Rtn

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Well as it states, my RR Canabbis colony has RTN, and it's happening really fast, I'm about to cut it off the rocks and hopefully get a big frag, WHO EVER ELSE HAS THIS SPS CHIME IN PLZ, flow placement, light, not sure what Ive done wrong with it, but is totally encrusted with no new growth and never had any polyps out, like ever, I do have it under strong flow and medium-high light?, ANYONE?? Quickly!!!! Plz

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Well fragged it up, got one big mini colony with no bad tissue, and a big frag with a little RTN but superglued all around the infection, also dipped them in coral primer, no bad bugs or anything, so not sure?¿ wish me luck X

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That sucks to hear. I hope the new pieces heal up nicely. I am always weiry about any sps, but so far I have had some success.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Kman

Super Active Member
Any time you have RTN you should have a good amount of flow on the tank. If not the dead\ infected tissue will choke the living tissue out making things worse. The coral needs to be able to do proper respiration to exchange gas and extrude waste build up. This will keep up proper immune system to help recover and fight off infection. Good flow also brings needed O2\food and nutrients to the coral. I typically keep the coral that has RTN in good flow and just a little less light or in some cases the same light. Because it is a lot of stress for the healthy tissue to have to adjust to new tank conditions and fight off RTN at the same time. but if you need to place the frag on a frag rack try and place it in good flow and close to the same light level. Good flow in the tank will also help keep the infected tissue bits off other corals reducing the risk of spreading.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Thx guys, ya the little frag was skinless by this morning :( and the mini colony is showing no signs of RTN yet today, fingers crossed it makes it, always lots of flow in the tank no matter where, and left the mini colony in just a little less light, mayb25-50 par less but same flow

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Well the mini colony has started to RTN as well, still clipped another piece from the most healthy looking spot to see if I can save a nub or two at least, so sad, but everything else seems to be fine still..:(

Nick James

I've had a couple frags rtn on me over the last year. The most upsetting was a mini red dragon colony. I did as you did, cut the healthy parts away. Next day, all were bone white. I've had better luck leaving the frag alone and making sure I maintained parameters rock solid.. I've had one "silver surfer mili" I got from Dave Caplan rtn to 3 polyps only to rebound and fully recover.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sorry, just read this now.

For what it's worth, my colony does well with medium light and medium flow.
I have it at the front of my reef about a third up from the bottom- about 10-12 inches off the bottom. It's loving life there. I heard that it doesn't like being fragged- but haven't fragged mine yet.

Once you know your tank is stable, let me know and I can get you another

Cheers

T