Sps Tissue Loss

Hong

Hello,

I have a few frags that is experience tissue loss at the tips. There is a miyagi frag close by that has mesenterial filaments are sweeping but not touching. The other is intensity of light. Trying to pinpoint th problem.

Not sure if this is causing the frags to recede/loss of tissue at the tips.

Just wondering if anyone has experience or seen similar issues.

Other sps have a good PE and colour.

Thanks.

HOng

IMG_20160703_141511.jpg IMG_20160703_141542.jpg

Hong

My alk has been swinging a bit. Another factor is the clowns trying to dig to the center of the earth and kicking up all the detritus and sand. Might do a WC and see what happens.

Skim

+1 on what Torx says, only other thing is if you are Carbon Dosing or using Bio Pellets for some reason can intensify it with Higher Alk. I got some fairly aggressive burning at 11 dkh with Bio Pellets.

Hong

Hi Peeps.

The highest was 9.3 two days ago, 8 yesterday, and 7 this morning. I did a WC this morning.

I was carbon dosing, but stop once the GHA was gone.

I don't measure PO4, and it could be that. I did recently get rid of my sea hare, and that thing ate like a monster.
I will increase feedings more.

Probably best, to monitor and do a few water changes so things can stabilize.

Thank for the ideas.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Big key to SPS is PO4. If you do not measure that, you probably shouldnt keep SPS. They can handle high PO4 for a while, but I find that they crap out after a while pretty quickly if PO4 is high.

Hong

It's most likely your Alk swing. That's a big swing in 48hrs.
I don't allow my alk to bounce more than 0.2 within 24hrs

Sony Xperia Z3
How do you keep your alk from swinging? I'm trying to figure out how much alk my tank uses in a day...i'm thinking 2-3 ml of carbonate.. small tank with quite a few corals..

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I dose daily with Alk, and I use kalk for my ato. Keeps things stable.

You should test on day one. Wait three days, test again(no changes in those three days like WC's or dosing) then test again. Take the difference and devide by three which will give you daily usage. Then calculate according to the supplement you use and you'll have your daily amount needed.

After figuring out and switching to daily dosing. Test every day to confirm your amounts are correct.

Sony Xperia Z3

Hong

OK. That sounds like a plan.. I must of test/dosed/water change several times in the last couple days...seems like I'm chasing a ghost.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Hong

Big key to SPS is PO4. If you do not measure that, you probably shouldnt keep SPS. They can handle high PO4 for a while, but I find that they crap out after a while pretty quickly if PO4 is high.

Hi, I starting to think it is the alk swing. But, for phosphate test do you use the Hanna checker or Salifert test? Thanks.

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Oh no!!, I wouldn't take it that far, im a mere mortal as well,, I'm just trying to KISS method everything, basically to prove it can be done with regular water changes, good filtration, and a little bit of elbow grease:], IO Reef Crystals #1 in my book:)

Last edited: