Starting A Reef With A Slightly Differenent Approach

kjardine519

So while the money is taking its time pouring in I've had some time to think about my next build.
I want to start my next reef coral only for the first 3-6 months. Mostly sps.
Cycling a tank for coral only should be done exactly the same as you would for any tank right ?. Are frag tanks are generally un-cycled?
My build will have all dry rock from my existing setup which was live 2 years. This rock is getting treated by muriatic acid,
I'll have 2-3 weeks spare time after this treatment and my thought was to place the rocks in a container of saltwater. Keeping it at the correct heat and with water moment. Should I include a air stone? Should I throw a raw shrimp during the first 2-3 days?.
When the tank is built Im going to have the aqua scape preset (acrylic rods) for easy transfer.
I want to collect coralline scrapings from members. Blend them with saltwater and dose into my tank.. a rather large amount. hopefully this rock should be fairly phosphate free. My hope is to get coralline algae taking off quickly. Getting a nice coat on the rocks making it harder for other algae to take off in growth..
I've seen first hand how quickly this can spread with proper water chemistry and higher mg levels.
Im Going to maintain coralline algae mineral uptake with regular waterchanges. *hopefully* but stability will be my main focus.
Finally it will be coral time and I plan to start with a few frag packs and develop a dosing frequency, and or pickling lime.
How often should I be putting reefroids or something similar (recommendations?) in the tank to get nutrients to the coral aswell. I've read before that super low levels of nutrients make sps pale, it is possible to have too clean of a tank
The first fish I want to be a group of 3 chromis. Not asking about they're behavior to each other but is this a good idea for bio load and future fish? At this time I'm unsure on other fish.
I'm going to have a super shallow sandbed so wrasses are a no
No nem for me in this run so no interest in clowns.
I won't be able to properly support a mandarin.
Anthias I don't think I can house because of size.
Here's some build specs
Rodi
40b display
40b sump
Blackbox led or similar
Vertex in100 skimmer
Dosing pump ? Waiting on a deal on one. Unbought at this time but will own one by the time the tanks running
Jebao 7000 DCT return
Gyre setup or wave makers
Tlf media reactor (will switch out. I don't like this reactor)
No controller $$
Jbj Tru temp 200w heater and a few glass ones kicking around for the mixing station/spare

The tank will have minimal rock on display. I've got a mental image I'm trying to achieve. Leftovers may go into sump, or turned into something for hosting pods in the sump .

Thoughts ? Any ideas or help would be great

Last edited:

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Coral or Fish.. cycle it the same way. Yes there is probably less bioload from coral but there will still be some and if you do not have the bacteria population to manage waste then things will die.

Acid washed rock will be sterile and will need to be cooked/seeded before it will serve any purpose in the N2 cycle. After the acid treatment, flush the rock with fresh water a couple times, place in container with salt water, heater and powerhead. Let circulate for a week then toss in a shrimp and water the NH3 and Nitrate values. If NH3 goes low then toss in another shrimp. I would still think you will need a month to cycle the rock. I would toss a chunk of established rock into the container once you see the cycle begin. Just a way to help seed the dead rock with bacteria.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
This could end up being an expensive and frustrating experiment but wish you the best...

In theory some freshly mixed up SW has perfect parameters which won't really change with just a few frags in it, nice and clean and stable...perfect for SPS right? In reality they will usually either RTN overnight or recede and die fairly quickly.

There is pretty fair consensus on the RC SPS keepers forum that success with SPS in a tank under 6 months established is the exception rather than the rule. Not including "glass box changes" where established rock, water etc. are just moved to a new container.

The very best resource I could point you towards would be jroovers he can grow SPS as well as anyone!!!! Check his 45 gallon build thread...very similar to what you have in mind...if he doesn't see this and provide some input...(not on here much anymore)...PM him and ask about it. (Super guy and very knowledgeable).

kjardine519

I'll start with a single frag and see how it goes. My hope is if I get coralline algae growth, Sps should follow. I'm going to look into jroovers build and possibly pm him ! Thanks guys. Any thought on adding chromis first? I should I leave them for last ?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I would not recommend like fish corals will die while the tank is cycling. if you want to add one piece of live rock or get scrapings of coralline algae then maybe. I had to wait 2 months for my new tank to complete everything. I added a few softies after a month but still patience is key.

kjardine519

I know the orignal post is a mouthful. But we've covered the cycling process. You are correct though patience is key. I've got lots of time and sps is my goal. I do have experience in this hobby with sps. Not with this approach. So I posted in the new to the hobby section because this a new approach

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Keep us informed :) Sounds like you are experienced enough and know what you are doing. Post results :)

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I wonder if brantford will have a coral expo in the fall this year
Steve Sault is on the forum and he said there was so much involved in putting a show on I have no idea if with everything he is doing he will be wanting to do it again. I didn't understand the behind the scene factors

Last edited: