Starting up again....

iceno9

After reef keeping in the UK for some years, i closed everything down when i moved to Peterborough in Ontario in 2015. Here i am again about to start up again!! woohoo!
However....things change....technologies move on etc. So i have some questions.

1) Since i am in Peterborough, where are the best places to buy from - both equipment and livestock. I recall from the past finding smaller suppliers was financially so much better than the big box places. Please let me know the best dealers to use...
2) Test kits - What is the trend these days? I used to use Salifert....still the best to use for the money or do you recommend another? A kits of different tests might be the way to go right now since i am re starting.
3) Why is it some RO-DI units are like $130 for a 50GPD and others are $400 for a 50 GPD?
4) The tank i am getting is a 90gallon with sump (so lets guess around 125g altogether). Weight is likely to be in the 1200-1400lbs i assume. It will be mounted against an outside wall (load bearing) across floor joists (not along). Joists are 2x10 as the house is a 2007 build so reasonably modern. Any immediate concerns for floor strength? I could add some filler pieces between the joists, it might help spread load but i was hoping to avoid having to add extra full length 2x10's. What are people's experiences here?

Looking forward to getting back into this!
Matt

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Welcome back to the hobby.

I can not help much on the first point.

Test kits are really a preferred thing. I personally use RedSea kits, Salifert is still popular but Hanna is the go to for many also.

RO/DI units will depend on the quality of the unit and what is included in the deal. Links would definitely help when doing a comparison. Also there are a lot of people/retailers that just straight up over charge.

As for the weight, you should be good with no immediate or long term issues.

iceno9

This is the RO-DI unit i am thinking to get....

iceno9

OK....well on your recommendation - i just ordered the 6-stage RO-DI 50GPD system. The 5 and 6 stage are the same price (within $4) so i figured I may as well.
One more step to the puzzle!