Storm Aftermath

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Sort of on topic, I just put a smart ups 1500 under the tank.  I  am only hooking one return pump up to it, I figure it can run for a fairly long time like that, and I can hook in a heater if need be.  That will keep the level of water up in the tank (stuff has started to grow up above the low water mark).  I'll likely hit the test button and see how long it will actually pump water.  I was going to hook the whole apex up to it, outlets and all, but figured that wouldn't run for very long. 

harleymike

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Sort of on topic, I just put a smart ups 1500 under the tank.  I  am only hooking one return pump up to it, I figure it can run for a fairly long time like that, and I can hook in a heater if need be.  That will keep the level of water up in the tank (stuff has started to grow up above the low water mark).  I'll likely hit the test button and see how long it will actually pump water.  I was going to hook the whole apex up to it, outlets and all, but figured that wouldn't run for very long. 
I looked at ups system. But for what they cost and only run for a short time. I spent a bit more and got the generator. I can last for days now if i need to. And keep the family comfortable.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I will be interested to see if it even runs a pump depending on which UPS you got. don't see it lasting long with a heater attached

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
harleymike link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7250.msg75240#msg75240 date=1388594459]
I looked at ups system. But for what they cost and only run for a short time. I spent a bit more and got the generator. I can last for days now if i need to. And keep the family comfortable.

[/quote]

I agree, I have a big generator out in the shed, this is for the ~1hour outages that kills everything that is above the return pipes.  I have a couple of millies, an undata and a monti cap that all will die if the power is out and they dry out.  I was pouring cups of water on them the last outage. 

http://youtu.be/O06PLCh8tD4
I did this upgrade to a couple of  ups' I got off kijiji for a song.  I run my pc, internet and 3 monitors for almost an hour or more on a second one I have, so a pump should run hella long time. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=harleymike link=topic=7250.msg75258#msg75258 date=1388597293]

[/quote]

I agree, I have a big generator out in the shed, this is for the ~1hour outages that kills everything that is above the return pipes.  I have a couple of millies, an undata and a monti cap that all will die if the power is out and they dry out.  I was pouring cups of water on them the last outage. 

I did this upgrade to a couple of  ups' I got off kijiji for a song.  I run my pc, internet and 3 monitors for almost an hour or more on a second one I have, so a pump should run hella long time.
[/quote]

Kill the power and see how it goes.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
unibob link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7250.msg75266#msg75266 date=1388600909]
[quote author=harleymike link=topic=7250.msg75258#msg75258 date=1388597293]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kill the power and see how it goes.
[/quote]

There's a test switch on it, and you can plug them into a pc and it will tell you how it's doing, how much time left etc....  I'll do it when I'm not watching puppies and the winter classic lol. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Great idea glen! I need to get a ups for my return pump also because I got some pieces that are almost out of the water lol
What are you running for return pump? And have u tested the ups to see how long it lasts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
Great idea glen! I need to get a ups for my return pump also because I got some pieces that are almost out of the water lol
What are you running for return pump? And have u tested the ups to see how long it lasts?

I have 2 pumps, both marineland pumps I think, one is really weak otherwise my returns get overpowered.  I may take it out to give it a cleaning here shortly, then I'll give it a test.  When it's running now, it's not even registering a 'load' on the ups so I figure it might even run longer than an hour...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay it's a marineland NJ3000 pump.  I ran it for 1 hour and it only used up one dot on the ups, so hypothetically it would run for ~8 hours.  So if things were bad I could run that and a heater for probably 2-3 hours straight, and then use a generator to recharge the ups.  If power was out for longer than a day I could use the generator on the whole tank for an hour and recharge the ups at the same time. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
Okay it's a marineland NJ3000 pump.  I ran it for 1 hour and it only used up one dot on the ups, so hypothetically it would run for ~8 hours.  So if things were bad I could run that and a heater for probably 2-3 hours straight, and then use a generator to recharge the ups.  If power was out for longer than a day I could use the generator on the whole tank for an hour and recharge the ups at the same time.

Nice. Did you used to live in Lucan by any chance?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7250.msg75307#msg75307 date=1388621583]

Nice. Did you used to live in Lucan by any chance?

[/quote]

What an odd question.