Stray voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

copperkills

So I found what I believe to stray voltage in my tank,  from my MJ1200's.  Im running two,  one for GFO and one for my pellets.  With both running I read 24VAC.  When I shut both off I still ge approx 2VAC.  Could this stray voltage be affecting my sps?  It doesnt seem to be effecting my livestock or lps.  Can anyone comment?  Both MJs are relatively new. 

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Most likely not your problem.  If there was a true voltage leak it would 120VAC.  What you are seeing is induced voltage from the pumps.  I have read voltages around what you are seeing before no problem.

C

copperkills

Ya one probe in wall plug ground and other end in tank.

Darryl,  would a ground probe eliminate the induced voltage?

C

copperkills

As long as probe works wouldn have to worry then :) kinda like using gfo,  wouldnt know u had a PO4 issue if u were using it :)

AdamS

Voltage by definitiin means a potential difference. When you measure voltage with the method described, you are simply measureing the potential difference between the tank water and the ground system of your house, which really doesnt tell you much. What will kill is stray currents. If you put in a ground probe you create a path for that voltage to conduct and now have current, not good. Think of a bird on a powerline. It would measure 27000V with respect to the ground, but he is not touching the ground, so he is good.

As darryl states, dont worry about those readings, imo

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
@copperkills
Is your tank equipment protected by a gfci recept?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

copperkills

Yessir...tank is on its own separate circuit with gfi.

And no ground probe it is!  Makes sense and no longer gunna worry about it.

AdamS

Good  :D

And those who are not using GFCI receptacles for all tank equipment, please reconsider. Its the best $15 you may ever spend, and it may save your life one day.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
As long as your gfci is operating properly then don't worry there is no path of current flowing through your tank......touch the water.....do u feel tingle? U will if there is a path for current because saltwater is highly highly conductive.....ignore the odd voltage readings....it is potential difference as pointed out before.....this is definitely a factor of power for sure but without current we have nothing.....

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
My old MJ power head had the cord crack and expose a wire to water.....felt a good zap before the GFCI kicked in but it did and who knows.....maybe saved my life.

I feel slight tinglers regularly from sticking my hand in the water....especially when Im bare foot (I also get static shocks often and IM not too worried abou those).  If its not enough to set the GFCI off I dont think its too big a problem.  I mostly notice it in the sump where I have lots of cheap and AC pumps....in the display I have expensive tunze DC pumps and have never noticed it there....of course could be the difference of floor material.

I dont really believe in grounding probes either....if you have a real problem this is kinda like throwing a band aid on it.  GFCI is a must.....and test them once in a while too because they can fail.

AdamS

Well said. And it is almost certainly your floor material. On your main floor where your DT is, your floor is mounted on wood joists, your basement floor is in direct contact with the ground.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Ya....your probably right.  But I do think that the higher voltage AC pumps will put out more stray voltage than the low voltage DC pumps.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
My old MJ power head had the cord crack and expose a wire to water.....felt a good zap before the GFCI kicked in but it did and who knows.....maybe saved my life.

I feel slight tinglers regularly from sticking my hand in the water....especially when Im bare foot (I also get static shocks often and IM not too worried abou those).  If its not enough to set the GFCI off I dont think its too big a problem.  I mostly notice it in the sump where I have lots of cheap and AC pumps....in the display I have expensive tunze DC pumps and have never noticed it there....of course could be the difference of floor material.

I dont really believe in grounding probes either....if you have a real problem this is kinda like throwing a band aid on it.  GFCI is a must.....and test them once in a while too because they can fail.

YIKES!! Many have died without the use of gfci......all electric radiant heating cord sets (I.e. electric in floor heat) now require to be gfci protected in Canada.....think about what could happen if using electric in floor heating in your basement and you had a small flood or even a large water spill and current leaked......where would you go? How would you move to escape?.....and saltwater is extremely conductive so you can easily get trapped especially if working in close quarters in the sump.
GFCI is necessary!! Don't see anywhere in Ontario electrical code specifically mentioning anything about home aquariums.......seems like they like to have them installed though on pretty much anything near or in contact with water though!
Ground probes are not really necessary IMO.....all they are doing is providing a guaranteed path for current to flow if there ever was any to leak.....so your gfci would trip immediately.....otherwise you create the probe yourself like Darryl did. I have seen people use the probes to determine which piece of equipment is faulty so they don't have to use the "Darryl" probe ;)  as they turn on each piece one at a time until finally BANG and that's the faulty one lol

AdamS

Reef Hero,

I bet if you read the instuctions of any CSA/cUL listed aquarium device it will indicate that you must connect the device to a GFCI protected receptacle, and I believe the OESC does indicate that equipment must be installed and operated in accordance with the manufacturers installation instructions.

So, indirectly we are required to use GFCI, no?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Yes, indirectly I guess so.....
But you have to remember that the OESC is not really for consumers or home owners.....it is more intended to be used for installers....
But yes all certified equipment should say to use with gfci.

AdamS

True the OESC is not always easy to follow, but it is still the law, homeowners gotta follow it too.

Bottom line is, use a GFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.