Sump Newbie Help Please

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
So i have been in the reefing hobby for 5-6 years and every one of my tanks hasnt never had a sump. All with hang on the back skimmers and large canister filters. So my question is can i get two pumps of some sort and some piping and plum my current 100 gallon tank to a 90 gallon tank in the laundry room (10-12 feet away) and use my simmer/ filters in the 90 and just have a return line to the DT?

Any help would be really appreciated!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Sounds like you want to run both systems off of one central sump. Am I correct?

For this you'll need an overflow box or drill both tanks. Then from the sump you'll either need one pump per tank you plan to run. Or you can have a powerful pump "T'd" off to both tanks.

You can pump water from one tank to the next then pump it back. You'll never be able to match flow rates which eventually will spell spill over in one or all systems

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
are both tanks reefs if one is fowlr you could pump to reef then overflow to fowlr then overflow to sump if both reef the second will suffer from high levels and do poorly plus during power outage both tanks will drain to below overflow so make sure sump has enough room for the rise in an outage.....
come get that gsp and see how both my systems work i also have my qt an in tank sump