Super Reef Octopus 5000sss Internal Protein Skimmer Reviews

BigReefer

Super Active Member
hey guys

I was thinking about getting this skimmer for my 150 gallon tank .... i was wondering if anyone had experience with this skimmer ... this one or the older one..

thanks

heath

Distinguished Member
talk to Torx/Mark, I love mine and I know that he is still running one..skimmers are like vehicles, some like fords and some don't, its what ever you are comfortable with and what works on one tank may not work on another tank...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Awesome skimmers. I forget what size your tank is...but depending what you want to keep in tank, the SRO-3000sss may be adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigReefer

Super Active Member
Unless someone has a good skimmer suggestion that isnt millions of dollars ... for a 150 dt and a 50 sump ... reef

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I think that 3000 would be too small. Those things are always way over rated.

I just bought a Lifereef 36" which will handle my tank nicely. For my 150 I used an MRC 3 with a mag 24. It works better with an external pump though.

Why not take a look at a Venturi skimmer. They are old school, but for pure skimming power I do t think there's a needle wheel skimmer that can touch them. Plus you don't get screwed down the road when they change the pump and you can't get get a replacement. Built in obsolescence.

Servicing that pump is going to be a huge PITA. you'll have to get the whole skimmer out of the sump.

If you have the chance, check out Lifereef. Service is amazing. He has 24" in sump skimmers in stock that will run off a mag pump.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
imho you will never hate a reef octopuss they are amazing. my 150b classic cone handled my 125 with massive bioload including 3 tangs and only cost about $350-$400

BigReefer

Super Active Member
Right now i am using a 150 int classic ... i love it .... does 210 gallons ... 120 with a heavy bioload ....

But wont be enough for the 150

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If you can budget the 5000, I would go with it.

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I had a 150 int in my other tank. When I put the MRC on, it literally sucked back disgusting sludge out for a month. IMHO needle wheels are better marketed than they perform. Like skimming wet.... That's a whole other discussion lol

Skim

I think you should also look at the BK Curve 9. Curve 7 would do but if you want some over kill Curve 9. If you look at reef supplies canada the 5000 is 669.00. If you would get the Curve 9 you could get the Skimmer and neck cleaner and a Reef Octopus Waste collector for 653.15. That's a pretty good set up.

Skim

BigReefer

Super Active Member
Bk curve 9 ... you mean bubble magus right ??? Neck cleaner is that a selk cleaning thing ??

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Bk curve 9 ... you mean bubble magus right ??? Neck cleaner is that a selk cleaning thing ??

Yes he did mean bubble magus. I have the curve 7 on my 140 and it pulls out a lot of crap! A curve 9 would be a great choice I'd say.