Surprise Surprise. In Wall !!

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Today I thought I died. My wife said "let's go downstairs and look at the tank". As you know I've been playing with the idea of making one. I explained the risks to her right before the " let's look at it".

She proceeds to outline where she figures the walls can go, where the tank would be....

FLOORED

She told me to get out my graph paper and outline where everything would go.

So should I got for 96x30x24 high?

Holy moly I can barely type.

I talked to seek at miracles and the 84" uses the glass sheet better so it will be more cost effective. 260 gallons of ocean

Last edited:

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
NICE!!!!

When my wife started talking about our Reno I was waiting for her to evict the tank. Imagine my surprise when she finished with... "So you'll need to get a proper peninsula tank".

There are some good ones out there!!! LOL

Congrats!!!

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I have a total of 7'6" floor to ceiling. How high off the floor would you have the bottom of the tank? I'm drawing it all out on graph paper. My shop can fab the stand so that's a huge savings

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
congrats...

depends on how you would like to view the tank, and if you will need access under the stand to manage your skimmer and reactors, sump, etc.

Keep in mind the higher you go, the more difficult it will be to work in your tank.

For reference, my stand is about 32" high and my glass is 26" high- I can barely reach the bottom, but its worth the trade off for me.

Everyone has different preference, do whats best for you, but make sure your sump area has enough height if needed

reef keeper

Super Active Member
My skimmer is 31" tall lol. I want to make it external because getting in to service it right now (clearance under the stand is 31.5") is a real pain. I think that making the stand a few inches taller OR taking the skimmer out from the stand period will make a huge difference.

Here's another thought. That great big tank I bought that is a total PoS - I think if I get the side glass cut down I can make it into a SUMP.

How deep can a sump be? With an external skimmer and return it's really going to be mostly a Refugiim lol. I was thinking maybe 16"-18". Then euro the top

Last edited:

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Today I thought I died. My wife said "let's go downstairs and look at the tank". As you know I've been playing with the idea of making one. I explained the risks to her right before the " let's look at it".

She proceeds to outline where she figures the walls can go, where the tank would be....

FLOORED

She told me to get out my graph paper and outline where everything would go.

So should I got for 96x30x24 high?

Holy moly I can barely type.

I talked to seek at miracles and the 84" uses the glass sheet better so it will be more cost effective. 260 gallons of ocean
NICE!!!!

When my wife started talking about our Reno I was waiting for her to evict the tank. Imagine my surprise when she finished with... "So you'll need to get a proper peninsula tank".

There are some good ones out there!!! LOL

Congrats!!!
Some guys have all the luck! Jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bart84

Congrats Mike. That's going to be awesome. I make my stand between 32 and 35 inch depending on the tank height. Even 35 with a 30 tank is only 5 feet and your tall. No problem getting to the bottom.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
do you still need those clamps? sorry i havnt made it yet have been busy between a boy home for march break and every tom, dick and harry calling about a leaking roof or flooded basement.... the joys of general contracting