T5 Supplemental Lighting

Cliff

OK since I updated to be 220 gallon I find that there are some dark spots in my tank. I am currently running for aI hydra gen1 lights I have always toyed with the idea of adding some T fives I think now is the time. I saw these lights on home hardware's website. I am leaning toward them because they are all in one light where I don't have separate ballasts like some of the T5 conversions kits out there. One thing I did notice is that the end caps for the lights are not the sealed type do you think that is a big deal? I like the fact that these lights are relatively cheap and available locally. What do u think?
http://m.homehardware.ca/h5/m/en/r/...r-and-Bulb-Combo/_/N-ntlupZ1z14188/R-I5121584

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
They will work. But depending on the application. Those end caps won't last long.

I also have gen 1 hydras and I added the retro fit kit from reef supplies. The ballast is separate. But they come with water proof end caps and individual reflectors you can move to whatever angle suits your tank.

IMO spend the money on the proper kit. You won't regret it.

Sony Xperia Z3

Nighthawk26

Reflectors arew awful, and small on those. As Eric mentiond, the end caps will be destroyed on no time.

Look up LET T5 retro kits if you are looking for an inexpensive option.

Cliff

Awesome thanks I will look them up. To me built-in ballast is more important than value. I have so much wiring and crap hanging on my walls right now I just don't want to add more junk. Every time my wife walks into my fish room she thinks it's going to explode on fire one day because of all the electronics everywhere. I think another ballast with all those loose wires will look even worse.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I personally love the mix between led and t5. I feel you get the best of both worlds without having to replace 8 T5's every 6-9 months.

Why don't you visit a local electronic store like sayal. There's a ton of cable management stuff that will help clean up the lose wires

Sony Xperia Z3

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I also use the LET retro kits. Before in my t5 only and now in my t5led hybrid that I am building. Excellent ballasts, excellent reflectors...and WHEN it's time to replace ballasts you will appreciate them being accessible.

Cliff

The tank is in wall in the light is in my fish room. I have an aluminum hanger that holds my hydras right now so I have all the room I need

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca