Tank Direction:advice To Get There.

scottbennett86

Alright so I have settled on where I would like to go after having seen more tanks.

What I want: I like a lot of different things and am just left wondering how much I can pull off without breaking the bank.

As far as corals(in approximate order of desire)
#1 palys and zoas.
#2 sps(a combination of montipora plates appeals to me)
#3 lps(love frogspawn)
#4 softies(love movement)

My vision is for mostly palys, zoas, with a few Monti caps of different colours. Just a few softies and lps for movement.

As far as fish knowing how much I like my crowded African cichlid tank I want as many fish as I can handle. (I realize 40+ fish in the 6" to 1' range isn't going to happen like in my fw tank setup without hurting the reef)

Final tank is 120 gallon long.

My current running equipment is

90 gallon tank
Lights 2 x global star 300 watt leds(advertised as 300 actually has only 140 watts worth of drivers each)
4x sunsun 500gph powerheads

30 gallon? Aqueon sump
Coralife 120g superskimer

40 gallon long Refugium
Refugium lights 2x t5 ho 48" 6500k
Old 802 powerhead to increase flow
Currently barebottom with LR and macro algae.

115 lbs of LR total

I have already decided to replace the power heads. They are ok but are better suited to their old job (stirring up waste in my fw tanks so the filter could get it)

I am looking for advice here. I don't yet have a wave maker and am just judging my success at creating turbulent water by watching my psp and Kenya Tree.

Would 4x powerheads(1 large on each end and 2 small facing the front closer to high flow corals? ) be the way to go to create various flow zones?

Next area of concern is lights on my DT.
I have unused t5 ho at my disposal 1 is a 4x48 setup that I can easily use with my LEDs and the other is a 2x48 that could also be used. I would prefer to use just the LEDs but will it be necessary to add the t5? The 4x setup is almost easier because the LEDs fit in between the front and back sets of t5s(it is a hand me down diy job that has the lights staggered to cover 60") is that too much? Would the 2x t5 ho with the LEDs be better.

I suspect some of my goals are at odds with each other. Lots of fish plus sps and lps seem counter to each other (according to my reading) and brings my to my next area I wish to address filtration. I already have my fish heavy fw systems a can hold this back a bit I think.

Skimming : how much is enough for me to get to my goals?(or as close to it as I can) 200 gallon rating?

Biological filtration(I am still working to lower nitrate) : should I get more LR? How much? Would it be a viable option to use a biomedia that supports anaerobic bacteria (matrix/biohome ect) or just stick LR. Are deep sand Beds a thing of the past? Would there be a benefit to using one in my Refugium?

Chemical filtration: I have always ran carbon in my fw tanks changing it monthly. My current plan is a carbon reactor, possibly carbon dosing, adding a gfo when phosphate begins to rise again. (currently .03 or less)

I guess my biggest questions come down to:

Lights:
LEDs by themselves or with the t5hos and how many? Or just trial and error when I get there? I would like a better start than that though.
Flow:
How many pumps how big? Any tips on setting them up for my goals?
Filtration: Biological: deep sand bed? More LR? Carbon Dosing?
Skimmer: how big should I replace it with?

I know this has been another long post but I felt to get the best advice I had to put as much info out there as I could even if some was redundant. Any advice would be appreciated. I will not be offended by suggestions completely different from what I am thinking.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

scottbennett86

I am not looking to find all the answers and I understand that nothing in this hobby is perfect and what works for some doesn't work for everyone.
I am mostly concerned about lighting. Should I just get my hands on a par meter to help myself on the lights or does anyone have experience doing something similar?

Should I just be patient about the nitrate? It is fairly steady around 5.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Hi there welcome 5 is ok I wouldn't want it much higher and 0 is perfect (personally mines around 2-3ppm)

Lighting I've been down that road and lost a lot of money it all depends on what you want to keep, sps or lps and softies ?
Also your budget , i staarated cheap and didn't work out for me , I love led i won't go back they last a lot longer then t5 bulb replacements

scottbennett86

Replacing the LEDs is on the horizon. They seem bright enough for what I paid. Roughly 4 t5s when they are on full. Where I don't like them is the optics don't seem wide enough. I have about a 10 inch wide strips that are super red dominant with other highlights of blue and white. It leaves me wondering exactly what is getting the correct light spectrum. I lifted them another foot above the tank and it is much more even. I suspect it will work fine for what I have now.