Tank Inhabitant Id - Perhaps Sponge?

So I noticed this white sorta fluffy thing floating around in the current of my tank. At first I thought it was a piece of rotten food. But while it's not overly large (maybe 1/8" or so) I haven't been feeding that tank any large food particles. Then I thought maybe it was from a dead critter but everybody is accounted for.

So I took it out of the tank and starting thinking it was some sort of sponge. It looks to have a hollow section in the middle. Almost like a slice off the end of an elbow noodle that's gone a bit fuzzy. After some research online I'm leaning towards a Scypha Sponge.

Here's a couple pics one on the side and one sort of showing the hollow section.

Just figured I'd check here to make sure and if it's safe I'll put it back in the tank. :cool:

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
So I noticed this white sorta fluffy thing floating around in the current of my tank. At first I thought it was a piece of rotten food. But while it's not overly large (maybe 1/8" or so) I haven't been feeding that tank any large food particles. Then I thought maybe it was from a dead critter but everybody is accounted for.

So I took it out of the tank and starting thinking it was some sort of sponge. It looks to have a hollow section in the middle. Almost like a slice off the end of an elbow noodle that's gone a bit fuzzy. After some research online I'm leaning towards a Scypha Sponge.

Here's a couple pics one on the side and one sort of showing the hollow section.

Just figured I'd check here to make sure and if it's safe I'll put it back in the tank. :cool:
Not sure what it is but will be watching with interest

Nighthawk26

Looks lie Pineapple Sponge to me. Especially with the hold in the middle description.

Quite prevalent in "newer" tanks. 6 month mark or so especially, but really any time. Typically viewed as a good sign of quality water. As tank nears a year and plus, you will likely see a die off of them.

Yeah ... after searching online for a while I decided that's what it was and put it back in the tank. It's adhered itself to a visible piece of rock so I can keep an eye on it. My other tank is over a year old (with me anyways) and it has several of those yellow encrusting sponges. They seem to slowly grow and do well in that tank. I'm sure they also provide a useful service and they add some colour. ;)

Thanks for the confirmation on the sponge. :cool: