Tank Near Window And Ac Usage

Canadianeh

What do you think of placing tank in front of window? I plan to close the blind of the window that facing east side in the morning, and open it in the afternoon after 6 pm. The other near by window is facing North that I usually keep open during day time.

In the summer I also use AC in the evening and like to keep it around 22C. In the winter, I like to keep it under 25 C.

Will all of these have negative impact on the 25gl tank even if I use a 100W heater?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I think you would get a lot more nuisance algae, and heat might be an issue, but who knows you might be able to get away with less lighting.

When i ran MH with a tank just near a window I was looking into getting a chiller. Switching to LED took care of the heat.

Again with heaters it comes back to a backup system. I have 2 heaters in my sump (in case one went out), and both are monitored by the apex. If the thermostat in one of them jams on, the apex will take over and kill power to the heaters until the temp drops, then turn them on, so effectively I have 3 thermostats in there...

heath

Distinguished Member
one of my tanks are relatively close to a window and there is a big difference with algae on the glass, but I have no choice.. sun-light = algae on the glass...its is to scrape off if you keep up with it...

Canadianeh

one of my tanks are relatively close to a window and there is a big difference with algae on the glass, but I have no choice.. sun-light = algae on the glass...its is to scrape off if you keep up with it...

when people say "sun-light" are they talking about direct sun-light? I can close the blind of my window that facing east so there will be no direct sun light hitting my tank. But I still have my north facing window that I prefer to leave open, but there is no direct sun light.