Teebone's Epic 210G SPS Build

jroovers

Super Active Member
I'm happy to see Tyler that things are running well with your tank! You went through some really significant downs initially, especially with your fish - just goes to show, persistence is the hallmark of a champion! ;) Looking forward to seeing your progress, especially the corals, in person. :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Keeping things slow & steady, with params, lighting, feeding, and flow
Water changes 30g per month

Alkalinity remains solid @ 7.8 dKH
Nitrates < 10 ppm
Phosphates < .10 ppm

ATI- T5 80w x 8 = 8 hours full

NLS pellets x 2/day

PE Mysis/ Brine shrimp 2-3 times a week

Reef Roids x 1-2/week

AquaForest Energy 5 drops/week

MP40wes x3
Tunze Wavebox

From the left side..
jevkzuk.jpg

From the right side..
Uv4IFyl.jpg

Left Island
WWycqyT.jpg

Last edited:

samiam

WOW incredible growth shots Teebone. your tank is stunning! couple questions if you dont mind:

what are you doing for nutrient export? carbon dosing? refugium?

are you adding any other elements other then the alk/calc/mag?

I'm having an issue with browning sps and cant get my purple sps to colourup. I'm not carbon dosing, just a refugium and skimmer..

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
WOW incredible growth shots Teebone. your tank is stunning! couple questions if you dont mind:

what are you doing for nutrient export? carbon dosing? refugium?

are you adding any other elements other then the alk/calc/mag?

I'm having an issue with browning sps and cant get my purple sps to colourup. I'm not carbon dosing, just a refugium and skimmer..

Nutrient export is mainly done by my Bubble King Superman 200, it runs for 20 hours, off for 4 hours

supermarin.jpg

And regular water changes.

Haven't used GFO or carbon for over 18 months

Feeding is key, I noticed that the more I feed, the better the PE and the colours become deeper

samiam

Thanks for the reply Teebone. That skimmer is a beast, i cant fit one into my sump, been thinking of doing a basement fishroom to get more water volume and space for a skimmer like that..are you still running the biopellets? still have the siporax in the sump?

why do you keep it off for 4 hours? noise? or was it not skimming enough in the full 24hrs?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
If I had to guess, it's the same reason I only run mine from 7pm-7am....kathleen wynne and her time of use insane hydro rates?

I programmed my apex to kill the skimmer pump for 4 hours so I could hit the tank with aminos or reef roads. This is usually first thing in the morning when the lights are off, the tank is black, and there the corals have full PE.

I should maybe consider killing the skimmer during peak hydro times, probably a good idea!

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks for the reply Teebone. That skimmer is a beast, i cant fit one into my sump, been thinking of doing a basement fishroom to get more water volume and space for a skimmer like that..are you still running the biopellets? still have the siporax in the sump?

why do you keep it off for 4 hours? noise? or was it not skimming enough in the full 24hrs?

Thanks- i got rid of the biopellets long ago. I was a big believer in them but find that I am getting better nutrient levels without them. I was finding they stripped too much nitrate from the system. I added the siprolax and I think they are still doing their thing. I like the siprolax because they are less hassle then biopellets and take up less space then live rock.I also think that biopellets are not as popular as they once were, many are achieving great sps reef tanks through other methods.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Some incredible growth shots Tyler!!! o_O :)
Looks like you've found your own way, no point keeping the pellets going if they aren't really helping. How many fish do you have in there at present? I'm surprised with what I assume is a pretty decent fish load that you even need to dose/feed anything - and that phosphates aren't an issue without GFO. That said, not running GFO and having everything balanced is an ideal situation, once less thing to keep running/maintain/refill and worry about underdoing it/overdoing it.
Really incredible growth progression, off the charts really! :cool:

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I would love to run the tank sans gfo but have experienced 4 full crashes over 20 years prior to discovering it, so I figure just plug along ULN. I don't have the growth that Tyler does, and in fact I get zero growth unless I do aggressive water changes (5 gallons per day, every day), so I think nutrients are also being stripped from mine. BUT I know there's nothing being stockpiled in the DSB or the rockwork, so the coral can just figure out how to live on light alone ;)

This is a beautiful tank, I'm okay being envious of it :)