Teebone's Epic 210G SPS Build

jroovers

Super Active Member
I would love to run the tank sans gfo but have experienced 4 full crashes over 20 years prior to discovering it, so I figure just plug along ULN. I don't have the growth that Tyler does, and in fact I get zero growth unless I do aggressive water changes (5 gallons per day, every day), so I think nutrients are also being stripped from mine. BUT I know there's nothing being stockpiled in the DSB or the rockwork, so the coral can just figure out how to live on light alone ;)

This is a beautiful tank, I'm okay being envious of it :)

I'm not quite following you, you run the GFO to keep a relative ULNS, and the 5 gallon daily water changes are adding back nutrients you think? Or you're just keeping the corals relatively hungry by having 0 nutrients in the water column and having them rely on light only? I'm assuming this is what you mean as usually water changes are a net nutrient export... either way, the salt companies must love you... I imagine you'll be stocking up come boxing day soon ;)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Awesome.... just awesomr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some incredible growth shots Tyler!!! o_O :)
Looks like you've found your own way, no point keeping the pellets going if they aren't really helping. How many fish do you have in there at present? I'm surprised with what I assume is a pretty decent fish load that you even need to dose/feed anything - and that phosphates aren't an issue without GFO. That said, not running GFO and having everything balanced is an ideal situation, once less thing to keep running/maintain/refill and worry about underdoing it/overdoing it.
Really incredible growth progression, off the charts really! :cool:
I would love to run the tank sans gfo but have experienced 4 full crashes over 20 years prior to discovering it, so I figure just plug along ULN. I don't have the growth that Tyler does, and in fact I get zero growth unless I do aggressive water changes (5 gallons per day, every day), so I think nutrients are also being stripped from mine. BUT I know there's nothing being stockpiled in the DSB or the rockwork, so the coral can just figure out how to live on light alone ;)

This is a beautiful tank, I'm okay being envious of it :)

Thanks guys, things continue to do extremely well. I had to actually relocate my Green Slimer stag, and my Purple Abyss stag to back of my tank as they are just getting huge and starting to shade my other light hungry acros. Even had to move my other stag to the far side as well- for the same reasons.
Hopefully I get a chance to take some more progress shots very soon.

Have to do a head count with my fish- but no new additions. They are all getting along and getting a little porky, especially my Sargassum Trigger, he is about 3 times the size from when I acquired him.

Alk has started to get sucked up in a major way- a very good sign of a happy tank :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'm not quite following you, you run the GFO to keep a relative ULNS, and the 5 gallon daily water changes are adding back nutrients you think? Or you're just keeping the corals relatively hungry by having 0 nutrients in the water column and having them rely on light only? I'm assuming this is what you mean as usually water changes are a net nutrient export... either way, the salt companies must love you... I imagine you'll be stocking up come boxing day soon ;)

Well I've been keeping track, and I get new growth when I water changes, and nothing when I don't, so it's got to be some sort of trace element they are needing, as I am testing for, and dosing, alk mag and ca. I'm running about a half pounds of pellets, and changing gfo once a month, so I may be stripping out something, BUT I'm running phosphates of .03 PPB and no pest algae at all, so I'm content with slow growth, just not sure what it is the salt changes are giving the tank. I used to do 15 gallon changes once a week, now 5 every 1-2 days (and yes, salt seems to go quickly) :)

TheGreenStag

Wow Tyler i just went thru the 20 page thread (got some free time on hand at work ;)) lol...What an amazing journey...From highs to lows beaten down with fish deaths to back up and staying up there...Isnt this a wonderful hobby...in all that you had kept a lot of patience and hence the key to your success...you have a great tank with some awesome corals...to be honest when i first saw the 2 island in its bare bottom i though thats a lot less rock work for denytrifing bacteria to grow but your husbandry has proven me wrong..great job buddy keep the pics coming..simplicity at its best...

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Wow Tyler i just went thru the 20 page thread (got some free time on hand at work ;)) lol...What an amazing journey...From highs to lows beaten down with fish deaths to back up and staying up there...Isnt this a wonderful hobby...in all that you had kept a lot of patience and hence the key to your success...you have a great tank with some awesome corals...to be honest when i first saw the 2 island in its bare bottom i though thats a lot less rock work for denytrifing bacteria to grow but your husbandry has proven me wrong..great job buddy keep the pics coming..simplicity at its best...

Thanks buddy, appreciate your comments and support. How far things have come, with lots of ups and downs. I did include some siporax and more liverock inside my sump to help improve the volume of nitrifying bacteria.

TheGreenStag

Thanks buddy, appreciate your comments and support. How far things have come, with lots of ups and downs. I did include some siporax and more liverock inside my sump to help improve the volume of nitrifying bacteria.
Thts cool...the funny thing in this hobby is you just dont know when you wake up next morning how are things going to roll out in your tank...

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Time for a few updates...

First I wanted to post a pic of my sargassum trigger.
Had this little guy as a juvenile since June, he's easily doubled in size and has started to get some red colouring in the tip of his tail.I think he likes it around here :)

Here is a recent picture December 2017

and when I first got him...
June 2017
20060129-DSC_1171uyfgkjf_zps4zsgyxmh.jpg

20060129-DSC_1200uyfgkjf_zpsoo9ydwui.jpg