TESTING HELP!!!!!

Stevesault

Hello I am just getting back into the hobby and I need some help with testing my water I would like to keep all types of coral. But not sure how to go about it. I got some softys and dropped them in they are doing fine but now I want to get into hard corals. What do I need to test? How do I test? And what should it be at? Thanks

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
This Chart shows you basically what you should aim for.

parameters_chart.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
The big three no matter what kind of corals you are keeping are Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity.

Once you have those kits then you can starting keeping your targets.  However, with softies and a few Stony corals, water changes alone will keep your level where you want them.  Once you get into more corals and SPS then you may need to start dosing the big three to maintain your levels.

Keeping your nitrates and phosphates low is ideal.  There shoudl be no nitrite or ammonia in your water once the tank is cycled and established.  I woudl not worry about the rest of them yet.

Of course Temp and Salinity are important to.  For salinity a Refractometer is highly recommended over the plastic swing arm hydrometers.

Marz

Neopimp link said:
Of course Temp and Salinity are important to.  For salinity a Refractometer is highly recommended over the plastic swing arm hydrometers.

I am a neewwbie! As well. Refractometer is a necessity IMHO.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Neopimp link said:
[quote author=Jewel link=topic=8561.msg92120#msg92120 date=1398891708]
Nice Chart Neo. Very helpfull

I stole it :) marinedepot I think or liveaquaria one or the other
[/quote]darrylv had it in here for ppl to steal.  ..mebbe a year ago.  i stole it and it a icon on ,y desktop

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ya I recall that.  But it's original from one of those two sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbinkley

Lost my heater over night tank was 68% this morning I've got a new heater but now my nitrate is threw the roof anyone know what I can do to fix.this asap

theyangman

Distinguished Member
tbinkley link said:
Lost my heater over night tank was 68% this morning I've got a new heater but now my nitrate is threw the roof anyone know what I can do to fix.this asap

Nitrates going through the roof I cannot imagine has much to do with your heater going kaput. But a water change would help, but do you run anything to help with nitrate exportation? Like Biopellets or Nitraguard cubes?

tbinkley

No I do not I feel I found the source I have a dead mushroom  I've recently taken.it out did a water change last night found the mushroom afterwards.should I do another water change or let it.cycle now the mushroom is removed

Jewel

Tell us what was your Nitrats at before the water change, and now how much are they, what size tank do you have, your bio-load and what and how often do you feed. In any event wait a week before doing another water change HTH