Thinking about...nano frag tank

Marz

As most know, I ask a ton of questions and am very new to the hobby. I have accumulated a few zoa's and torch. My wife loves the tank, but questions some of my coral selections :) I recently was able to pick up a used 20g that will be used for QT I have decided... but have not had a need to set it up yet. I also picked up a 10g rimless for cheap and was thinking about setting it up as a frag tank...so that any purchased that I make will be less obvious... lol... seriously though, I was thinking that it would be nice to have it so that I can really see which frags I want in my DT. DT is small obviously, so gardening and esthetics of placement and colors is important. I am not interested in selling, just like to use it to grow out. A couple of questions:

1. Although it is small, I have no desire to have a large frag tank since I don't have room, buy-in from wife, and won't collect as many as most of you... so is the 10g too small for a frag tank?
2. Should I use a HOB skimmer and maybe refugeum or is the refugeum overkill?
3. Can I use the water from a WC to get the cycle going if in fact 10g is ok to use?
4. I know that having a fish is good since it creates a bioload and based on Ricklalondes sticky of fish for size tanks, should I also look at a fish and cleaner shrimp... or again is the 10g too small?
5. Any other suggestions are appreciated.... this isn't going to happen quickly, but as usual I like to gather as much info as possible.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I used the water from my WC 50/50 with new water when I started my old frag tank. Had 0 cycle. It all depends on what you are going to keep in the frag tank. A hob skimmer and water changes should work on a 10gal LPS softie tank. Do not even think you would need the skimmer actually. I ran my 28 biocube fully stocked with fish and ran no skimmer. Had amazing growth as can be seen in my signature links. Throw in a clown or small tank fish is good as well. Bioload IS important to coral life. Grab up a small powerhead and a nice light and should be good to go.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I didn't run any. But the only experience that I have is my one nano tank. I also have a 3 gallon tank, but that is crazy different as I do daily water changes. I like the blocks that BRS uses in their anemone tank in place of live rock and filtration.

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-plate.html

i think this is the stuff he is referring to

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-video/

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
pulpfiction1 link said:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-plate.html

i think this is the stuff he is referring to

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/marinepure-ceramic-biomedia-video/

yes, that is the stuff. Can even drill holes for frag plugs and use as a rack, or just place a rack on them, a little more convenient the using rock in it being such a small set up IMHO.

Marz

I just watched the video. I think that it would be a great idea as a frag rag as well. The only issue, is if the frags grow all over it, but it would be in my office anyway, so I would see it all the time. I could also add the plugs to some rubble and then set on top.

Thanks for the idea!

Marz

Hahaha... every time I bring home a new coral... and It isn't that often, I am told that the rock looks nice and shouldn't be covered. So me thinks a small frag tank in my office...i can pretty much find/use any excuse :) it will be awhile that's for sure.
From all the tanks and frag tanks that I have seen from members, you can really get an idea of how a frag will look in DT. Not sure if that makes sense, but one frag in one tank may look different in another.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If you google a product called "marine pure" it is the same thing. Something I could get for people if they wanted to try. Retails for $40 for 2L

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marz

Is it the 4" block? Also, not sure if you remember, I was looking for seachem
Pond matrix, it looks like they also have the smaller media that can be put in a bag-mpc2 I think, can you get as well?

Marz

This weekend I will be using the water from my DT (3g approx.) and the left over new SW from the water change. I have talked with Jerry about getting the Marine Pure media and hopefully can get this next week. When I do my WC next week I will also add that water to the Frag tank so that I don't have a cycle. I am removing the Koralia from the DT and using it for the frag tank. The only thing really left is to get a light. I have been thinking about replacing my current IM on my DT with a AI Sol that I can get used and using the IM for the frag tank.
I had a question. I know that it is a small tank, but an ATO would be great since I can keep it stable. Any thoughts of a reasonably "cheap" (not in construction or reliability) ATO that I could add.
I was also thinking a cleaner shrimp, taking some snails (Nassarius and Trochus) from my DT, and some of the new Hermit crabs I got.

Thoughts about my plans?

Marz

Update: light, water, and koralia. Will wait for a used ato. Going to add some smaller rocks until I can get the marine pure.
I still need to test the water, but its 70% from my DT water changes....and based on my "flow" thread, will need to point koralia up for water agitation.
[attachment=4486]

Marz

I wish they where closer to each other but they are not, which is ok for me since now I have one in my office :) that is all mine...no democratic pressures...lol

Marz

I have been thinking about eventually adding a fish, small cleaner shrimp and some of my crabs, trochus from my DT to the frag tank...so thinking about how to keep it clean, I was looking at smaller skimmers. BUT then I saw this...has anyone tried it?

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/11/26/diy-mame-nanp-skimmer/