Time To Sort Out Sump Issues!

Nemo22

Good morning fellow reefers :)

I have been running my first reef tank for about 2.5years now. It is a second hand jbj 24g with diy sump/refugium.
IMG_2775.JPG

It came configured the way you see it in the pics, however much has changed in terms of corals and aquascape. I have been battling neomeris annulata macroalgae (spindle weed) from a legacy issue the original owner was also battling.
IMG_2947.JPG

I have noticed a fundamental error in the sump configuration, or so it seems. It is time for change.
The drain flows directly into refugium and then into return compartment where the skimmer is also housed.
IMG_3077.JPG

So my thought is to finally remove the refugium, place skimmer in that compartment, upgrade skimmer from Tunze 9001 to a cone skimmer (maybe a bubble magus).

Refugium of this size isn't likely to be much of a nutrient remover anyway from what I have read.

Recent upgrades are;
Vortech MP10w - replaced hydor ph
Second Kessil a160we to help with shadowing.
Apex controller- not in service yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated before I go ahead with this.

Cheers :)

dale

ya, thats a good idea as long as your refugium compartment stays the same level, even with power outages is optimal, with the apex im sure you could do a delayed start if your skimmer chamber water goes up with power outages.. spend the big bucks and get the best skimmer possible

dale

after a clean up and a kick ass skimmer, feed the fish just enough to keep them alive for a few months and the problems will dwindle... of course keep an eye on things any time you change something up ..
a hungry tank is a healthy tank..