Tips On Acans

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Thinking about getting some. But what are the tip or tricks to keeping them?

Would it be better to buy a bigger piece than a small frag, would this help my success.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Frags are fine, Acans are quite hardy. Lower light and decent flow is what they like. Supplemental feedings with a good LPS designed food like fauna Marin LPS pellets will keep them very happy and healthy.

They are forgiving to higher nutrient tanks and are a relatively easier to coral to care for.

Nemo22

I find the Acan coral to be among the easiest to keep so far. They have amazing colour variety and you can be creative with growing some awesome Acan gardens. I keep mid to low in tank, spot feed mysis one or twice a week (sometimes less). They are my favourite coral thus far. I haven't found a difference in a single polyp or several, however, I can't speak for larger colonies. I can tell you that growth and reproduction is exponentially higher the more heads you have.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies. I've only had a small frag and at the time I had sand and it kept getting buried by a clown. when I moved it up on rocks the lighting bleached it out. I have three different types of shrimp and I'm also concerned about them stealing their food. I am familiar with the bottle trick for target feeding.but I now have a deep tank 24" and no sand so getting to things on the bottom of the tank is difficult.

Nemo22

I've target fed my shrimp and brittle star a larger piece of shrimp so they are occupied long enough for Acan to consume some food before the scavengers can get to them.

BIGSHOW

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Website
www.bigshowfrags.com
Thanks for the replies. I've only had a small frag and at the time I had sand and it kept getting buried by a clown. when I moved it up on rocks the lighting bleached it out. I have three different types of shrimp and I'm also concerned about them stealing their food. I am familiar with the bottle trick for target feeding.but I now have a deep tank 24" and no sand so getting to things on the bottom of the tank is difficult.

In my dropoff off that's very deep I use a hollow tube and just put the food in the tube and hover the end over the corals I am target feeding, shrimps do come out and I just do my best to smack them aside with the tube. Typically once the acan starts to feed it's fairly quick. You can also draw the shrimp to another area with food and then quickly go to you acan.