Tired of Bubble Algae... no live rock in the display?

• Thread starter phi delt reefer
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
just when I think I'm getting the idea of how I think this should go, along comes another thread and blows my theory all to hell. I thought that the glass beads were nitrate traps and were a no no. Don't they just hold the nitrates and return them to the tank? Or are they ok to use with regular maintenance?  :-\

B

Bill@IA

phi delt reefer link said:
[quote author=Neopimp link=topic=4323.msg39902#msg39902 date=1360367582]
Good luck , you will never win with bubbles once its in.  Best you can do is control it with crabs and fish. Remove it manually:)

Yeah everything I read says bubble algae can survive in low light low nutrient tanks so that's where the bucket idea came from. No light would hopefully kill it right off. It would still be plumbed into the system so I the rock would remain alive
[/quote]

Another option would be to bring one rock at a time over to my shop and put it in my tank of Green Emerald Crabs for a night or two. It's amazing what a group of them can do in a short period of time. You have already seen what our crazy Unicorn Tang "Bubbles" can do, our Green Emeralds are even faster.  :)

Here is "Bubbles"@IA on a customers' coral....
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Billincredibleaquarium/IMG_5797_zpsd7ccae5e.mp4

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
There are two different kinds if bacteria. The kind that needs oxygen to do it thing, which is to run the nitrate cycle.  Then the second is a kind that doesn't use oxygen but live in an oxygen less place.  This forces the bacteria there to break up nitrates to get their o2.    This is the basic theory behind sulphur denitrators and coil denitrators.

Usually the flow through the "filter" is so slow it drips out of it.

As far as a reg filter,  if you clean the media out regularly you shouldn't createa nitrate factory.

B

Bill@IA

sunnykita link said:
just when I think I'm getting the idea of how I think this should go, along comes another thread and blows my theory all to hell. I thought that the glass beads were nitrate traps and were a no no. Don't they just hold the nitrates and return them to the tank? Or are they ok to use with regular maintenance?  :-\

Sherry, this was a discussion/debate/experiment Vince "phi delt reefer" and I were looking into a long time ago before life got him so busy.
The thread and discussion we had was from following this thread on RC : http://www.reefcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1744289&page=19

Many reef hobbyists in Brazil were following and discussed building a coral reef with the absolute minimum rock/live rock/sand etc etc.
Maybe for newbies I should add "Don't try this at home"

:)

B

Bill@IA

Darryl_V link said:
Will i sound crazy by suggesting a small healthy naso?  Thats what cleaned up my 60g cube...

A great idea that obviously works. I got that idea along time ago, from observing your past threads and past results. The "Tang Police" may add something but I think TLC and water quality trumps that.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Bill@IA link said:
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4323.msg40002#msg40002 date=1360413918]
Will i sound crazy by suggesting a small healthy naso?  Thats what cleaned up my 60g cube...

A great idea that obviously works. I got that idea along time ago, from observing your past threads and past results. The "Tang Police" may add something but I think TLC and water quality trumps that.

[/quote]No Tang Police here.... They are all over on AP making sure their signatures are accurate.

P

phi delt reefer

Big_Als_London link said:
[quote author=Bill@IA link=topic=4323.msg40004#msg40004 date=1360414292]
[quote author=Darryl_V link=topic=4323.msg40002#msg40002 date=1360413918]

[/quote]No Tang Police here.... They are all over on AP making sure their signatures are accurate.
[/quote]

Lol

P

phi delt reefer

Bill@IA link said:
Another option would be to bring one rock at a time over to my shop and put it in my tank of Green Emerald Crabs for a night or two. It's amazing what a group of them can do in a short period of time. You have already seen what our crazy Unicorn Tang \"Bubbles\" can do, our Green Emeralds are even faster.  :)

that unicorn tang is a champ, I wish they came in midget form!

With fish or crabs I believe they just keep the bubble algae in check but are not able to eliminate it which is fine as long those members take up permanent residence within your tank.  I can't keep a tang in my tank long term and I fear a bad emerald crab will either attack my fish or soft corals.

Maybe its time to just get a bigger tank with a couple tangs.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks Bill, appreciated
no worries about this newbie trying it at home LOL way beyond my skills but I do appreciate seeing this - back to the drawing board and rethinking this again !

Bill@IA link said:
[quote author=sunnykita link=topic=4323.msg39983#msg39983 date=1360390122]

Sherry, this was a discussion/debate/experiment Vince "phi delt reefer" and I were looking into a long time ago before life got him so busy.
The thread and discussion we had was from following this thread on RC : http://www.reefcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1744289&page=19

Many reef hobbyists in Brazil were following and discussed building a coral reef with the absolute minimum rock/live rock/sand etc etc.
Maybe for newbies I should add "Don't try this at home"

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.