To Foam Or Not To Foam. That Is The Question..

100gallon

I have heard people use Styrofoam under the tank itself and I have heard people not use it. Can anyone shed light on this for me? I am wondering if it is solely for insulation or if it used to take out minor variances in a flat top stand? I have checked mine with a laser and can only find very subtle...very...on the top of my stand. Thanks!

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I always use at least a thin layer of styro under all my tanks. Thicker if your floor is warped.

The idea behind it is to take out small variances and give the tank a much more level surface to sit on.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk 2

100gallon

My new tank is 112 gallons. Floor is out 1 inch (135 yrs old). Making leveling worse is the tank needs to sit across the corner diagonally...strongest point. I have the stand shimmed out to level. I have some 1 inch Styrofoam...sound good to lay down? Also there is a centre brace top and bottom. Moulded into frame

Sent via Samsung Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Does your tank have a bottom black plastic ring on it or is it custom as in there is no plastic and te bottom in flat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Nevermind just read there is. No need for foam if you have your plastic ring/ support.

It is already lifted by the plasti off the stand. With a custom tank were a small point load due to imperfection in the stand surface could cause a break, that's when I would use some foam.

In both types of tanks though the stand top has to be level and true. As we all know glass does not bend well.

If you are dead set on foam then go with something. Thin enough that if it settles into the foam it will not put upward pressure on the bottom pane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk