Too much calcium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plug and play

I have a dosing pump and I ran out of Kent calcium and bought seachem calcium, I didn't Chang my dosing and it must be stronger. I didn't do any water tests for a while. I noticed my acro flesh falling off, when I did water tests my calcium was really high not on the scale of my test but I'm guessing 640 ppm . It's a 29g bioCube I'm doing 5g water changes every two days(stopped dosing) but I'm using reef crystals and I'm putting water in at 420 ppm  calcium. My calcium is dropping so so slow, is there anything I can do?

P

phi delt reefer

I would check your alkalinity.

Usually high calcium is associated with low Alk.

spyd

Super Active Member
Yikes!! That is insanely high!!! You must be evaporating water like crazy in your tank! I agree that you should be checking your ALK levels. With all that evaporation and top-off water, your ALK will surely drop down. I wouldn't be afraid to do a large water change. Like 20% every couple days or so until your levels are down. There should be no affect on anything doing larger water changes.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Check phos as well.Phos will bond to the carbon, leaving free calcium, which your test will show as excess. (no, I am not a chemist, last night Lou, from tropic Marin, did a webinar for mast covering this exact topic :))Since you have a smaller tank, I would retest, sort out the doses, and keep doing the water changes. It will balance itself out. So, I wouldn't try to raise one, or lower another. Just water changes.
Sent from my {HTC X8} using Board Express

Status
Not open for further replies.