Status
Not open for further replies.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So long after purchasing the tank, I finally had a chance to hammer this project out. Here is my standard 120gallon 4x2x2 peninsula tank. Keeping this one for a while, promise. DIY overflow with external drain mirroring Reef Savvy’s Ghost Overflow

Starting with the stand.

20140518_092410_zps2625d386.jpg

20140518_100301_zps5df7a24a.jpg

More bracing was added to the stand before the tank was added. It will be seen later.

Drilled the tank myself. Thank you pulp for the bits.

20140528_111535_zps068bb4d3.jpg

Drilled the external overflow box. Going to use a 1" full siphon and 1" trickle and 1" emergency.

20140529_105046_zpsc14e0548.jpg

And assembled

20140529_110932_zps52f0b0b3.jpg

I did not get pics of the internal part of the overflow box that I made, but it works great. Installed the overflow box, internal and external

20140530_141538_zpsb6ecc323.jpg

Covered and painted.

20140531_075415_zps62376f83.jpg

Tank in place

20140531_102147_zps5325d5f2.jpg

Time to start transferring the new water. I added about 50 gallons of fresh salt water and the rest was old tank water. Once my old tank started to be drained, it made it really easy to catch the fish when there was only a small amount of water in the tank. Also I did use 2 different substrates which looks awesome now.

Just a little cloudy in the beginning.

20140531_112325_zpsf1172078.jpg

Everything transferred. Still lots of rock work and gluing frags to go. Also, just a temp hood to hide the light until I finish (start) the one to match the stand.

20140601_081646_zps37a26ca4.jpg

Sump is in my storage room. My house is all on one level, the plumbing runs beneath the house (crawl space, no it does not freeze down there, pipes will be insulated before fall as a precaution anyways) and back to the sump. I am using a Jebao DC12000 for my return. I am using the stock controller ATM. Too many other touches to be completed to hook up one of my cables to it today. Apex is a wicked mess of wires. Apex head unit, DIY BOB and an EB8 are in the fish room. There is a 50' Apex usb cable that runs under the house to connect an EB8 that will be installed in the hood (currently in the cabinet) as well as 2 VSP's.

I actually did the move last weekend. Everything survived by the looks of it. No fish or frag loss. More pics to come once I get all my frags glued and rid of those egg crate racks.

Last edited:

benzzz

oh wow, what a sweet ass tank setup. Damn gonna follow along the process on this baby  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    CONGRATS!!!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
benzzz link said:
oh wow, what a sweet ass tank setup. (Darn) gonna follow along the process on this baby  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D    CONGRATS!!!

Thanks. Extremely happy with it so far. Well except the new tank diatom bloom that popped up yesterday :( but that will pass. Hoping to get some more work on frags placements tomorrow, but wife is a little fish overload atm and needs to step away from the glass for a few moments lol.

Marz

Looks really nice! I especially like the wire organizer that you are using ;) (mine is about the same). Definitely going to watch the progression. One question, did you put the Jebao's on the one side so you didn't have to worry about "seeing" them since this is a peninsula tank (my assumption but thought I would ask)?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Marz link said:
...One question, did you put the Jebao's on the one side so you didn't have to worry about \"seeing\" them since this is a peninsula tank (my assumption but thought I would ask)?

Yes. They blend in to the painted end,  plus I wanted the 3 sides to be as open as possible. But thinking about going back to 25's instead of the 40's now that the tank is a foot shorter. Now just to work on a nice anti sync program. I am no Apex program guru. So many little things left to do.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
looking good torx!!
love the work on that external,
i have to ask though, why not 3 holes into the back of the tank?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Poseidon link said:
looking good torx!!
love the work on that external,
i have to ask though, why not 3 holes into the back of the tank?

Probably should have and wish i had. But those hoses are 2 1/4". More then enough to let water through.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
davesolo29 link said:
Where did u get the ghost overflow from? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My shed. Table saw, acrylic and acrylic solvent for the internal. Old leaky 20 gallon dismantled, cut and assembled on my work bench.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
teebone110 link said:
Nice work Torx and great adaptation of the Ghost Overflow.

Just curious if you considered keeping your sump under your tank? It looks like it should fit.

Considered it. But I will be putting shelves there instead to utilize the space better as we have a small house. Going to put some accent lights under there as well.

Biggest reason was although there was enough room, there never seems to be enough room and always crowded. Plus wife hated when I walked through with the skimmer cup lol Also, this tank is dead silent, 0 noise, 0 reactors or pumps. Sometimes you can hear the WP40 whirl up, but that is it.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
davesolo29 link said:
Who the hell uses a corded drill anymore?

LoL. I know. I have a cordless, but last time I used it to drill glass, the damn thing died on me part way through the second hole. Probably because it was my first time and I was going slow though. It was a little unnerving drilling this tank though. I was standing on my deck drilling over the railing. Just worked best at the time.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Awesome work. Love the peninsula look.

Status
Not open for further replies.