Tried Everything

manuel

65C52FE8-6CBD-43F0-950A-CB0513F2063F.jpeg Hey reefer’s just tried everything for the past 2weeks to clear up some red slime but nothing is working I had alt of zoas but everything has closed up due to this problem just seeing what I should do next. Did water changes every other day did chemclean added phosguard It’s a 10gallon AIO. I changed light settings to less hours on.

Copperkills

View attachment 18287 Hey reefer’s just tried everything for the past 2weeks to clear up some red slime but nothing is working I had alt of zoas but everything has closed up due to this problem just seeing what I should do next. Did water changes every other day did chemclean added phosguard It’s a 10gallon AIO. I changed light settings to less hours on.
Shouldn’t really need to use phosguard or chemclean on a tank so small. Nutrient control through water changes should suffice. I would just continue with the water changes and wait it out. You can mechanically remove it with a turkey baster or airline tubing.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Chemiclean should have cleared it up, did you follow the instructions correctly? are you sure it's cyano? the pick is crappy.

manuel

Yes I am sure it is I know pics are never the best I suck it up every time I do water changes. I have no fish as of now. Yes I followed the chemclean instruction I just did a 50% water change right now and took all the equipment out and wash it good. I have a up grade pump and a nano wave maker in the tank I think it has good flow

Mido

I would not use any chemicals in a 10 g, I would make sure that I have good flow/ control nutrients and lights and add a bacterial product... waste away woks for me so is pristine.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
When you added phosgaurd, did you do that before you did the chemiclean or after?

A lot of people take their reactors offline or remove the media but put it back in afterwards. Cyanobacteria is a bacteria. If you put the same phosgaurd or carbon or other material back in the tank afterwards, it will reintroduce the bacteria back into the tank. You need to replace the material. You also need to add major air to a tank during a chemiclean treatment. What did you use for that?

That is an insane amount of cyano. It will probably take multiple treatments of chemiclean along side of manual removal.

manuel

I used a air stone and put phosgard after and washed all the equipment should I put in FUEL to add good bacteria into the tank?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Try another 2-3 treatments. I woul avoid adding the fuel or anything afterwards. Something is out of balance for sure and smaller tanks can be even harder to fix as just a little of anything can mess things up pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
This is an image of a tank with dinoflagellates. Chemiclean would have no affect on it. A better pic might help with identification, the chemiclean should have worked on cyano

IMG_20130706_154438.jpg

Troy

In my experience , when it goes from red/purple to brown it is beginning to die off. A few more weeks and and more water changes it should soon dissipate. If it has always been brown, it could be dynos or hair algae. Same method to get rid of it, but need to find what your adding that is feed the algae. Try adding a CUC, snails and crabs do wonders for algae control.

manuel

Ok so I did a 50% water change and sucked up all that crap last night. I woke up and it’s back on the sand bed. If it’s dyno bloom would it be long and stringy? I have a kessil 160we and AI prime HD on for 8hrs ramping from low to high at 12pm and bad down

kapelan

How big is the tank?
You have 100W of LED, that would be good for 20-50g.
I would try 100% of light for 4h. Corals will survive but algae will disappear in 1-3 weeks.
After algae will disappear, increase on 1h every couple of weeks until algae back again.
That's about finding the daylight duration.

Matt1997

For a 10 gallon tank use either the prime or the Kessil not both. You are blasting that tank with light. Nutrients have to go somewhere and if that tank isn’t loaded with coral we have found the issue. Agree with above post. Shorten that lighting period, remove one of the lights. Keep doing water changes. Up them to every 3 days or so, remove the algae as well as you can. Get a tooth brush and scrub the rock, siphoning everything out. Leave the algae on the back glass, it will act as an algae scrubber helping to balance the tank. As for the light you won’t want to put it anywhere near 100% intensity. Start off low, work your way up. 10 gallon tank, using the prime I wouldn’t be pushing it over 30% personally.