Triton Lab - Professional Laboratory Services For Reef Keepers

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I finally took the time to mail off my Triton Lab ICP-OES test that I got from Ian (@reefdiver) at Sustainable Marine Canada back at London Fragfest 2018.

I must say, over all it was pretty great to learn and at a decent price for all of the tests. I will probably continue to do them once or twice a year. The time frame was lightning fast. I mailed it on Wednesday August 8th and had results Wednesday August 15th. I would also like to note, it was great to get results which were exactly the same as my NYOS test kits at home. I was mostly interested as I have not done a water change in almost a year other the post cyanobacteria water changes as recommended by their instructions.

A little information on the test. Each Triton Lab ICP-OES water analysis provides an accurate snapshot of the water quality in your system. They analyse a comprehensive suite of macro and trace elements crucial to healthy function of your reef system:

Sodium (Na), Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Potassium (K), Strontium (Sr), Boron (B), Bromine (Br), Sulphur (S), Lithium (Li), Beryllium (Be), Barium (Ba), Titanium (Ti), Vanadium (V), Chromium (Cr), Manganese (Mn), Iron (Fe), Cobalt (Co), Nickel (Ni), Copper (Cu), Zinc (Zn), Aluminium (Al), Silicon (Si), Arsenic (As), Antimony (Sb), Tin (Sn), Cadmium (Cd), Selenium (Se), Molybdenum (Mo), Mercury (Hg), Phosphorus (P), Phosphate (PO4), Lead (Pb), Iodine (I), Tuncsten (W), Scandium (Sc), Lanthanum (La) ... and more on their way.

When Triton receives your samples they email you and advise that it was received and that it will me approx 2-3 business days for results. After they complete your analysis Triton publishes the results to your online account and sends you an email. Triton are not just chemists they are also reefkeepers so they have made it easy for us to interpret results via their light warning system and algorithms that provide detailed information about problems and how to fix them.

Sample screenshot from my account.

Untitled.png

Their Help page has a ton of useful information for you to take into consideration as well.

Untitled.png

Lastly they also have a great section with Dose recommendations for your particular tank.

Untitled.png

I honestly wish I would have done this sooner. I just got the results yesterday and have been extremely busy with family, but in the short time I have taken to review my results, I have already learned so much more about my tank and water chemistry. I am not one who just takes what is given to me. I like to learn the information behind the results and how they work together.

I highly recommend this for anyone to get a snapshot of their tank and a better understanding of what my be affecting their systems. There are so many trace elements that can affect your tank that we do not test for and should. Give it a try, if not to see what is wrong, just to confirm if what you have been doing is enough or confirm your results. I have attached the printable version they offer to this thread.

Attachments

• Triton Lab results.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 117

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
By the results, most problems can be "fixed" by regular water changes with a good quality salt.

(I will admit that I still dose iodine...maybe I'm a chemist) ;)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
By the results, most problems can be "fixed" by regular water changes with a good quality salt.

(I will admit that I still dose iodine...maybe I'm a chemist) ;)

You got it. Most are not really anything to worry about. I will be testing in a few months to compare the 2 tests over time and will reevaluate my actions at that point. They do provide more in depth information on suggested dosing as well. They also have a full line of individual dosing supplements too. I do have some iodine on hand that I will start dosing again.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I don't see Alk and No3 results in the full results page?

The Triton ICP-OES Lab test is a comprehensive suite of macro and trace elements. Alkalinity is not a trace element. Alkalinity is a measure of how much acid it takes to lower the pH of the water. Alkalinity increaser or what we dose is comprised of sodium bicarbonate and will effectively increase total alkalinity and pH levels.

As for nitrate "It's not in the guide as we do not have a set point for Nitrate. Different systems can run at different levels depending on many factors such as tank inhabitants or what you want to achieve as far as colours etc... A full SPS system may run better at a different level when compared to a LPS system or a softy tank."

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Turn up your dosers!!! :)

More like turn them off lol. I have had my calcium and mag turned off for a few months now and it is going down so slowly. Basically all I dose is Alk and PolypLab Colors. I run my Biopellets and over sized skimmer for my tank, Bashsea Twisted 6-30. That is about it. I have not run GFO in a few months. I will be testing again this week as I think it will be time to put it back on.

Sue

The Triton ICP-OES Lab test is a comprehensive suite of macro and trace elements. Alkalinity is not a trace element. Alkalinity is a measure of how much acid it takes to lower the pH of the water. Alkalinity increaser or what we dose is comprised of sodium bicarbonate and will effectively increase total alkalinity and pH levels.

As for nitrate "It's not in the guide as we do not have a set point for Nitrate. Different systems can run at different levels depending on many factors such as tank inhabitants or what you want to achieve as far as colours etc... A full SPS system may run better at a different level when compared to a LPS system or a softy tank."
I understand different systems run different Nitrates and Alk levels. I still would want to see my reading on both since I am paying $60 for the test, only makes sense to have all parameters checked and not skip any.

Sue

And Phosphate is not a trace element either, yet it is included in the test!

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I understand different systems run different Nitrates and Alk levels. I still would want to see my reading on both since I am paying $60 for the test, only makes sense to have all parameters checked and not skip any.

Honestly I am not worried about the big 5 as I test on my own often. I did the test to learn the other elements that I do not test for. They are still adding tests to the results so maybe one day in the future they will include these other tests.