Updated Seahorse Photos

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
It has also been a while since I posted some photos of my seahorses. I currently have a 160 gallon display tank complete with a 30 gallon sump. This system is home to 12 seahorses. They love to change colors on me and it is difficult to tell who is who because of it. Nevertheless here are some of my favorite photos taken recently.

October2015-6_zpsnsyhplda.jpg

A few of the girls gathered near the powerhead waiting to be fed. They all gather here at feeding time. The males never do. They prefer to wait in the background for the food to float by them.

October2015-8_zpscvoikvqm.jpg

October2015-7_zpsq1pmpug4.jpg

I was thrilled to get this beautiful shot of one of my girls. The eye was amazing and clear and look at that perfect little crown.
smiley-love0671_zps2059580f.gif

May-15-2015-9_zpsmbq4qvmw.jpg

The boys waiting in the background. They think they are hiding. :)

My Fry tanks are now looking like adult tanks. In the fry system I have 5 Ten gallon tanks, a 60 gallon cube, a 75 gallon tank and a 75 gallon sump all hooked together to give extra water volume since they are quite over crowded for seahorses (total: 260 gallons). To keep up with them and keep them as healthy as possible I vacuum the bottom of the tanks every day. Every now and then I add some Stability just to keep the bacteria going strong. This system is now home to 53 seahorses. There were 120 in this system in the beginning and I have managed to sell quite a few. So far I have lost only 3 in the last 8 months. (An excellent track record when they are this overcrowded. - for reference - a seahorse tank should have 30 gallons for 2 seahorses and a further 15 for each subsequent pair. Using the math this system should have 408 gallons for what I have left but obviously this is out of the question for me) All of these seahorses are for sale if anyone is interested. Seahorses seem do develop in a ratio of 2/3 male to 1/3 female. As a result I now have only 1 female left and the rest are males. The males are all housed together in the 60 and the 75 and all get along great. One nice thing about seahorses is that the males don't seem to fight very much and only if there is a female present. None of my males in the male only tanks ever fight. Here are a couple of pictures.

October2015-12_zpssryyytld.jpg

October2015-11_zpsudwazt5l.jpg

The pink plants still seem to be their favorites and even though they have other colors to choose from and other decorations, they always seem to gravitate towards the pink plants. :)