Urgent Advice Needed Re Hair And Turf Algae Control

Canadianeh

I hate to say this, but I can't leave this thread without doing it. SLOW DOWN. You've been told this by how many people on this forum? You've only had this tank cycled less than three months if I've read your previous threads properly and you've pushed a bunch of living creatures into a tank without letting your tank catch up. This is going to cause your levels to spike. I can't speak for everyone on here, but when the majority of us started, we had just started adding CUC or maybe 1 or 2 fish by this point. If you keep going at this pace you're either going to kill your fish or crash your tank or both. The easiest way to take care of an algae issue is to evaluate your situation, RESEARCH, and then take action. If you don't slow down, all thats going to happen is its going to come back over and over again and then this hobby will turn from an amazing addiction to just plain grunt work. Trust me, I've been there

Yes I think I and her started our tank roughly about the same time. This is what I have in my tank now (2 months old):
  • 1x black ice snowflake clownfish
  • 1x ocellaris
  • 1x frogspawn frag
  • 1x hammer frag
  • 1x torch frag
  • 1x very tiny Xenia Frag
  • 3x trochus snails
  • 2x nassarius snails
  • 2x margarita snails (1 just died for no reason)
I am also running chaeto ball in one of the back chambers (lights only ON between 7pm-7am), using Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer, and just started doing 30% WC weekly instead of 15% WC.

I really want to add one more fish Yellow Clown Goby. After reading this thread, I am a bit worried. Should I wait, or can I add one more fish?

Janice - I agree with what Paliga said. I think you added too many fish too fast. I would think maybe cut down drastically on feeding and do more larger and/or frequent WC.

new2reefing

Canadianeh, are you QT your fish. I think I remember you asking about QT's.
If you are you can usually safely add one fish at a time
So once one is done QT, you can clean out your quarantine tank and start looking for your next fish, since it spaces your additions 4-6 weeks apart depending on your QT process.
If you plan to QT the yellow clown goby then I'd say go for it.
IMO If you're not QT, I'd still say your likely close to safe, but If it were me I'd likely stop at 3-4 fish depending on on your tank size until you hit that 6+ month point. That's when your anaerobic bacteria starts to set into the live rock and deep sand bed to help with the nitrate removal.

Canadianeh

Canadianeh, are you QT your fish. I think I remember you asking about QT's.
If you are you can usually safely add one fish at a time
So once one is done QT, you can clean out your quarantine tank and start looking for your next fish, since it spaces your additions 4-6 weeks apart depending on your QT process.
If you plan to QT the yellow clown goby then I'd say go for it.
IMO If you're not QT, I'd still say your likely close to safe, but If it were me I'd likely stop at 3-4 fish depending on on your tank size until you hit that 6+ month point. That's when your anaerobic bacteria starts to set into the live rock and deep sand bed to help with the nitrate removal.

yes I QT them. I think I am going to get one tailspot blenny for now since I read they help with hair algae, and I will wait for a couple of months before I start adding more.

My tank size is 40 gallons.

Thanks new2reefing!