Vdubz 90 Gallon

vdubz

After having my tank shut down for a over a year and a half, I have set up my 90 gallon again. I managed to hold on to a bunch of equipment when I was unsuccessful in selling off my tank originally. I painted the stand and base black to freshen things up a bit. My canopy unfortunately did not make out so well.

I ordered some LED lights off eBay and they arrived last week. There are 2 of them. Couldn't go wrong for the price and good reviews.

I went out and visited unibob and Shamous, as well as another friend, on Saturday and gathered rock for the new setup. Gave most of it a muriatic acid bath(rock from Shamous was clean). Neutralized it, rinsed and dried.

Mixed up the saltwater Sunday.

The tank is now set up the rock the way I like, for now.

I started my fishless cycle tonight. Now I play the waiting game. More patience this time around! Going to use the next few months to get some equipment upgrades, and be well prepared for FragFest2017!!

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Happy to see more and more people picking up dsuny lights. Great lights for a great price (even though I have a slight problem with one of mine)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vdubz

Nice! glad I could help. What other equipment are you looking for?
Need to get an ato, Plan on getting a new RO unit. Also thinking I would like to add a doser, and possibly a larger sump, for more space. Maybe some reactors down the road. Maybe a separate frag/qt tank.

vdubz

Did some work this weekend. Built a light stand for my refugium.

Also built a box to mount my lights to.

In the process of finishing up the canopy as well. Should be done today.

It's the start of week 6 for the tank and the first day the lights have been on. Starting the lights off with their setting on acclimation. Slow n steady.

vdubz

Little update.
As the tank has cycled, last week I put in some CUC. 6 trochus snails and 6 hermits. I also put in a neon candy cane frag from my brother-in-law and a back from the dead sun coral from @BIGSHOW.

Since everything was doing well from last weekend, I went out with my brother-in-law to KW yesterday. We picked up a few yellow tangs from @OrcaSB and then went to Big Al's in Kitchener. They had lyretail anthias on sale so I grabbed one as my first tester fish. It did well overnight so this morning I went to @Big_Als_London and grabbed 2 more females so the one wouldn't be lonely.

I also recieved an order of 6 more hermits and 10 nassarius snails from @reefdiver this morning.
I have been slowly stocking up on some things and keeping them at my brother-in-law's. Can't wait to slowly bring things over!

vdubz

Oh and my brother-in-law also helped me install a laundry tub and RO unit last night in the basement! This is temporary until the basement gets finished down the road.

vdubz

It's the start of week 11 for my tank today, thought I'd do a little update. I guess I jumped the gun bringing fish into the tank. One anthias died a week after I put them in and a second died a week later. Nitrates are continuing to drop slowly. The lone anthias, the snails, and the crabs are doing well. The few tester frags I've had in the tank for a few weeks are still thriving and showing some signs of growth.
Went to @BIGSHOW 's yesterday with my brother-in-law, Jon, and all I can say is...:eek:. it's always fun going there for a few hours to see all the eye candy! He said there's a big update coming to his site (hopefully today)! All those beauty acan colonies have been fragged and healing for 2 weeks.

He also has the most beautiful anemone I have seen personally...

It's amazing! I resisted spending all my money but still walked out with 6 amazing frags! They're now over at my brother in law's until I bring them over to my tank.

Pictures never do justice...But they're close...

Last edited:

Nick James

Nice stuff you picked up. One problem I have when I got to Bigshow's is, i forget how to speak and then I usually just run out of there in tears..

vdubz

Weekend update. I went out on Wednesday and picked up a couple healthy peppermints from Sealife Central because I noticed a couple aptasia on a piece of liverock. They made quick work of them as they were gone by Friday.

Stopped by @Big_Als_London on the way home and picked up a Cleaner Wrasse as well.

Wednesday night I stopped by my brother-in-law Jon's and brought home a few frags that I had been keeping at his place. Then Thursday my old heater crapped out so I put my small heater in to hold the tank over for the night. Friday I went out and got a new heater.
Saturday I did a large water change then went out with Jon to [removed:Torx] because I knew they had Skunk Cleaner Shrimp in stock. Its happy in its new home.

I also picked up a frag of Mystic Sunset Monti from Incredible. Only $10!

On the way home I picked up the remaining things I had at Jon's and brought them home. A bunch more frags from @Alexanneka and @BIGSHOW and my Lightning Clowns I got from @Imy112 in Toronto with delivery by @SamB and my Yellow Tang from @OrcaSB .

The Lightning Clowns

The Yellow Tang(still a little shy in its new home)

Lobo from @Alexanneka

Frag rack filling up

Little Plate Coral @Imy112 threw in when I bought the Lightning Clowns

One acan from @BIGSHOW ,the other from @Alexanneka

Everything is happy and healthy now!

Last edited by a moderator: