Vehicle Tires Question

Luke.

Distinguished Member
so after having 3 vehicles in my life I've always had a set of summer and winters (all on rims) never had all seasons I guess my question is

What do you think better (short term or long term) for the wallet ,

How long do all seasons last ? (I do about 40-60 km a day city driving)

Any tips / info will be a big help as I'll need tires soon my winter tires are from 2007 lol .

NEC

If you live in Canada you should have summer and a winter set. All seasons don't compare to winter tires. It's not about snow but temperature which is where winter tires will give you greater control in our colder Temps. 7C is the temp where all seasons become hard so traction isn't as great. For winter tires the softer rubber is important for winter traction.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys any brand you would recommend ? (I had big off road tires for summer) so just more for winter ? I have rims but don't want to spend a lot maybe cheap/mid grade or has anyone bought used winter tires?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Check crappy tire for prices.
As for used winters. I've done it in the past with good luck. But have been screwed in the past as well. If the tires have been sitting a long time before you get them. They may have aged and dried out. So you end up with poor traction because the tires are no longer soft to give you proper traction in the cold. So buyer beware. Or ask lots of questions before buying. Like how old the tires are and if they've been sitting a long time

Sony Xperia Z3

averhoog

The cheapest is to go with all seasons but winter tires are the best for driving. I run both in my vehicles and also have studs in my truck (studs are awesome on ice). As for quality Costco seems to have the. Set prices on tire but can tire on sale is good as well

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Check crappy tire for prices.
As for used winters. I've done it in the past with good luck. But have been screwed in the past as well. If the tires have been sitting a long time before you get them. They may have aged and dried out. So you end up with poor traction because the tires are no longer soft to give you proper traction in the cold. So buyer beware. Or ask lots of questions before buying. Like how old the tires are and if they've been sitting a long time

Sony Xperia Z3
Agree with above...and snows have short lives...but tons of people on Kijiji who got rid of a vehicle but are stuck with their other set to get rid of...if you're careful...great deals to be had...

Nighthawk26

Winters having short life is not really a fair statement. The problem is people put them on too early, and take them off too late. They wear fast in warmer weather. Use them for their intended purpose and you should have 0 problems getting 4 seasons out of them. I am a big fan of Blizzak W80 but also on my last car I just used Michilin XICe and I've been very happy with those too. You will usually get a break on insurance with them, and you cannot compare the difference between all seasons and winters specifically.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Winters having short life is not really a fair statement. The problem is people put them on too early, and take them off too late. They wear fast in warmer weather. Use them for their intended purpose and you should have 0 problems getting 4 seasons out of them. I am a big fan of Blizzak W80 but also on my last car I just used Michilin XICe and I've been very happy with those too. You will usually get a break on insurance with them, and you cannot compare the difference between all seasons and winters specifically.
Regardless very low mileage due to the requisite blocky tread pattern and softer compounds....totally accurate and "fair" statement...whatever...

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
The cheapest is to go with all seasons but winter tires are the best for driving. I run both in my vehicles and also have studs in my truck (studs are awesome on ice). As for quality Costco seems to have the. Set prices on tire but can tire on sale is good as well
Unfortunately studs are illegal in Ontario... I had a friend who had them and the cop made him remove them... but that was a few years ago maybe there legal now?

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
soon enough you will see that it will be mandatory to have winters on.
I have winters and summer on my car. they last me 5 years before I have to get new ones.
Quebec already has a mandatory law requiring snow tires... I'm sure it won't be long before it is mandatory here as well

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Will have Autonomous cars before to long. Then no one will have to worry about tires or even owning a vehicle.

averhoog

Unfortunately studs are illegal in Ontario... I had a friend who had them and the cop made him remove them... but that was a few years ago maybe there legal now?
Yeah sorry should of mentioned that yes studs are illegal. I have an exemption for being on the fire department.

Last edited:

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Yeah sorry should of mentioned that yes studs are illegal. I have an exemption for being on the fore department.
The cop made my buddy take them out on the spot... was actually kind of funny.... but he didn't think so...lol

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
most insurance companies in ontario must give you a rebate as well if you have winters.
my discount works out to 150$ a year just for having them.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
most insurance companies in ontario must give you a rebate as well if you have winters.
my discount works out to 150$ a year just for having them.
Holy Heck! where do you get that discount! I have yet to see one for more than $50 usually under $20 for the year