Vents For Stand?

jroovers

Super Active Member
Given that my peninsula stand is going to be pretty much completely enclosed, I need to incorporate some venting... Home hardware has these mini soffit vents, which are plastic and look like they may do the trick, with sizes from 1" all the way up, and they are very price effective. I'm thinking of adding 6 or so of these vents to allow some air circulation... but before I order, anyone have any better suggestions?

26712281.jpg

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/i...-Soffit-Vent/_/N-ntina/No-72/R-I2671228?Num=0

jroovers

Super Active Member
Nope, I had the same thing and vents in my set up. I ended up leaving the end panel open currently, but my set up is not complete yet.

What did you use for the venting? Was it not working, hence leaving the end panel open? The end of my stand is going to have an access port through the drywall to an adjacent crawl space/storage area, where I plan on putting my top of water and some of my electrical. So air will move into the stand... but I'm thinking I'd like to have some more air movement, and I may use these vents, plus a fan inside the stand, to create some of that movement.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
What did you use for the venting? Was it not working, hence leaving the end panel open? The end of my stand is going to have an access port through the drywall to an adjacent crawl space/storage area, where I plan on putting my top of water and some of my electrical. So air will move into the stand... but I'm thinking I'd like to have some more air movement, and I may use these vents, plus a fan inside the stand, to create some of that movement.

None of the above. I was doing LED and planned in venting from the wall end of the hood so that it is hidden. My tank is about 4" from the wall, so I figured the hood can be vented there, then let it rise naturally out. I left the panel open as I was under time constraints to get the hood modified for the t5 fixture that I bought that fit like a condom. I had to remove the panel so that the light would fit and the fixture vents at the ends.

That said...when the warm weather comes back, i plan on making a new hood. I will have it enclosed on 3 sides and vented out the 'back' end. I will install a small 12v cpu fan on the vent as well to help control humidity in the hood if needed. I will not need the vents in this case as it would just be open on that end and the top of the hood is not going to cover the 4" from the wall to allow venting up.

jroovers

Super Active Member
That makes sense. I'm worried about the humidity and condensation build up more than anything. Are you aware of any fans that are humidity resistant? I will have a small light for my fuge/frag area, but other than that I'm hoping I won't have too much heat down there, other than what is produced by the return, skimmer, and heater (lo), most of which should be transferred directly to the water.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I had to install an exhaust fan in my cabinet where my sump..... Waaaay too much humidity without it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
cpu fan blowing out and a vent on the other side worked for me the fan blowing in didnt seem to work as well as blowing out

+1
If you find the humidity too much then you will definitely want to do an exhaust fan rather than a supply fan..... I didn't even bother to put in any kind of supply vent either, the cracks between your doors or holes drilled should allow enough air in to compensate for the negative pressure crested from the exhaust fan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
Yes, I think a fan blowing out is the way to go. I'm going to leave some space behind my overflow exposed so air will easily be pulled down and ideally vented out towards the front.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
cpu fan blowing out and a vent on the other side worked for me the fan blowing in didnt seem to work as well as blowing out

Exactly what I was going to post. Glad I read all the replies first :)

Suck the air out. New air will always find a way in. I have been doing this with small computer fans. I used to have a relay, when the lights came on (halides) so did the fan. Worked great, and its amazing the difference a small little fan can make. I am going to be doing the same with my stand soon. Wife adopted a cat... Had to close up the stand, and opening the doors is like stepping into a steam bath (okay, exaggerated a bit). So, one fan pointing up behind the tank will get installed when I get around to it. For now, I just cut some temp holes in the "blocking" materials to help.... Time, I wish I could just buy some more!