Victoss' 120 Gallon Rimless Tank

Victoss

Hello everyone, its been about 5 years since I was somewhat active on the forums and last posted about my 120 gallon tank, which you can find here: http://www.thefragtank.ca/community/threads/victoss-120-build.10426/
Since then I had let the tank mostly do its own thing, let the corals grow and spread as the fish got older with rarely any new additions. I'll admit with the lack of attention the tank got compared to what is use to it slowly transitioned from a SPS dominant tank to mostly LPS and Softies.
20190617_164928.jpg
20190617_165023.jpg

You may of noticed the salt creep on the stand, the tank had a pin hole leak on the front left side (which ran down the trim to the right side) that I had let go for some time. I finally decided I had enough of that and it was time for an upgrade.

I didn't go for a size upgrade and instead jumped on a 120g rimless tank as I have always loved that look. It does feel much larger though because the overflow is external giving me the extra 6" lost due to corner overflows and the tank dimensions are 28" wide x 48" long x 20" high also giving me another 4" on the side. I did need to build a stand due to the custom dimensions but that gave me the chance to finally add an electronics compartment that would hopefully not have any contact with moisture or water. Besides the addition of an apex controller most of the equipment and sump is the same.

20190702_190750.jpg
20190702_190801.jpg
20190708_193041.jpg

Last edited:

Victoss

The plumbing on the rear of the stand is spray painted black to keep the clean look. Overflow is a little large keeping the tank further from the wall as I would of liked. I am running a herbie overflow with a full siphon, trickle drain and the 2 returns going over the top of the tank.

20190708_193213.jpg
20190708_192934.jpg

The electronics compartment on the side has all the equipment mounted to a wall which can slide out the front door so the sump can be installed/removed.

20190701_200100.jpg
20190707_224427.jpg
20190702_190302.jpg

Victoss

As for stock list, I only have 5 fish right now and 2 of them were added this weekend, being the majestic/metallic Foxface and what i'm hoping is a Schooling Bannerfish and not a longfin bannerfish due to being not so friendly with the inverts. The other 3 are a maroon clown, mandarin dragonet and a Regal tang. There are 2 cleaner shrimp in there right now as well. I did have a Yellow Foxface for the last 8 years seen in the old tank pictures but unfortunately he died a day after the upgrade which happened back in June.

You may of noticed I am fighting a bit of cyanobacteria right now which I believe is due to using new sand for the upgrade.

New guys:
20190804_164830.jpg

Last edited:

gowyn

Nice and clean.

Your old tank looks identical to my old one.

Can I ask where you got the new tank? I like the dimensions

Victoss

Thanks guys!

Nice and clean.

Your old tank looks identical to my old one.

Can I ask where you got the new tank? I like the dimensions

I had bought it used so i'm unsure where the tank was made. I should of specified its more "new to me" :)

Victoss

Well the magnificent foxface has died today, was eating everyday for the past 5 days except yesterday night and no signs of stress or injuries and readings in the normal. I'm tempted to think something with the new tank has changed in someway to be only affecting foxfaces as the one I had for 7 years died a few days after the upgrade...
Unless theirs some sort of disease that is know with these guys that might be floating around my water, unfortunately I don't have a QT tank but all other fish are good so far.